Chapter 7

I couldn't tear my thoughts away from Thomas and his words from earlier where he had wished to assault me if hadn't known about my mate. I felt disgusted to my core. The problem wasn't with the city, it was with the man who ran the city, the Alpha—Thomas. Instead of putting all those others down, I should've had my eyes on him.

The moon hung heavy in the night sky, casting its light all over the city. Utter, complete silence surrounded us. There was no one around us, not any cars passing by or strangers. The warehouse was miles away from the main city which I supposed would be the reason to why Thomas had bought me here.

So, I couldn't scream or run...

"What do you mean by that, Clara?" Wayne grabbed my upper arm, halting my walk away from the jet he had prepared for me—for us to fly back home. Color drained off his face as I turned to him.

I wanted to tell him what my intentions were but at the same time, I knew he would stop me. "Nothing, just nothing. I just need some time alone." I said as he tucked me closer toward his body while I tried to free myself.

My eyes closed. I took a whiff of the air and the remains of Thomas' scent that continued to linger around the warehouse. He was nearby, not to far. My senses reeled, forcing me to a direction where the trail of forest began.

It was middle of the night, sky as dark as it could get. I had been in and out of the city more than a hundred times, I knew everything from where the pack wolves ran, where trainings were held, where battles took place and where the Alpha resided.

My eyes peeled open, I looked over Wayne's shoulder and into the night. We were only a few minutes far from the forest, the same forest where Thomas ought to be having his night run, alone.

It was perfect.

I straightened myself and pulled away from Wayne. The confused look didn't wear off his face. He didn't understand what I said when I meant finishing Thomas. It was better if he didn't.

"Clara." He called out my name again, forcing my insides to melt. "What are you looking at?" He grumbled in frustration.

"I just need to go somewhere. I'll be back and then I'll do whatever you wish. All right? I just have to finish one important thing." There was a sudden urge rushing into my veins, to find Thomas and to kill him, to make him suffer for his wrongdoings. He had taught his men to become animals, he was the one behind all of the wrongs happening here.

A bad seed. From my experience, I only learned one thing and it was to put the bad seed away as soon as it was possible, otherwise, the bad seed would ruin the rest of the seeds.

It was repeating. My past. Brian, who should've been silenced earlier, who should've been punished for his corruption and who should've been thrown out. But, alas, it got late. Too late.

I took a couple more steps away from Wayne and began striding in the same direction to as where I smelled Thomas wandering off too. He wasn't far. I gritted my teeth and fastened my speed. A few more warehouses flashed by before the trail to the forest began.

It was a narrow dark trail with only moon as the source of light. There was a lake in a short distance and a camping ground where the pack wolves often trained. The patrolling around here was strict, there were a few dozen wolves placed all over the forest, protecting their kind and the city from rogues, lone-wolves, and other threats.

A thick mist lined over the long trees, making it harder for me to see. I turned my head here and there, looking for a direction. Thomas' scent became stronger, and I continued following it.

It was easier for an omega to catch someone's scent, a trait I caught on after I left my old town and the Nightstalkers pack.

"Clara," Wayne called my name, again and I stopped on my tracks. "Where are you going?"

I snapped back to reality, "I just need to get something done. It would be great if you left me alone."

"For the wolves to finish you up?" He neared me, hovering his large frame over my small one. "Come back with me. I won't repeat again." He said, jaw tight and his eyes narrowed to mine.

He was upset.

"I don't want to go. I told you, I've something to do. I just need to find him." I said, looking around once more.

"Who? Thomas?"

"Yes." I nodded.

His breath whooshed out of him, and he closed his eyes for a minute, suppressing his rage before opening them again. "Why? What do you want from him?"

"He kidnapped me. I want to kill him—"

"You're out of your mind, aren't you?" His eyes widened a little before he shook his head in disappointment. "He's an Alpha, you can't kill him without getting in great trouble and I don't have the means or the resources to get you out of this trouble." He moved closer to me while I stepped back away from him.

My arms folded, crossing over my chest. "I'm not leaving until he's dead." I said. "And you don't have to get me out of any trouble. I can manage this and everything else." My voice grew as so did the buried emotions inside me.

"Just as you managed living over the year..." He trailed off, his voice mocking and his words reaching.

"What do you mean?" Tingles of anger rummaged over my skin as I stared into his eyes, waiting for him to continue, waiting for those taunts to leave his lips.

It was a terrible year, I had to heal, it had to be like this, I couldn't do anything else.

"I survived, Wayne. I survived this whole year. I fought with my mother, I learned the truth about my father's death, and I lost my child, all at the same time. I have no one—I don't have a family nor any friends. I'm completely alone here and I did things that were wrong, but I did something." I snapped at him, yelling in the midst of the night. The anger came spurting out of me.

I couldn't handle the way his eyes were staring at me, judging me for all the terrible things I had done.

But what else could I have done?

"I know, Clara, I know." He placed his hands over my shoulders. His head hung low, compassion and sorrow filled his eyes. "I'm sorry. But you'll always have me with you. I waited for you, I waited for you to return. I want to protect to you, I want to keep you safe, I want to make you mine, but it won't happen unless you allow me to." He continued, his tone softening.

Heavy breaths left me. I threaded my arm around his body and leaned in closer while my neck stretched to his height. "I want him dead. I want Thomas dead."

"But why?"

"He would've done something to me if he hadn't learned that you were my mate and I felt disgusted thinking about it. I don't want to know that there is a man roaming around, wishing to do something with me." I replied, stating the truth.

The idea of Thomas living was uncomfortable. I had lived before in uncertainty, and I didn't want to live again with that.

Color changed over his face. A hint of red appeared in his eyes as he blinked. "Fine."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr