Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Wayne gawked at me with his eyes wide and his nostrils flaring. He blinked slowly, waiting for my response. The word blurted itself out of my mouth. I didn't think about it correctly. The damage couldn't be reversed now but I had to try.

"I don't mean it like that—" I began and he got dangerously close to me. Every step he took toward me, I took one step back. "I meant, I just want to find her and she's the one who did. She must've something going on in her head and she'll only speak to me and I'm the only one who can find her." I tried to come up with something quick, before he grew any more furious.

I had an idea to where I could find my Mother. She probably must be laying low in someone's pack or she had moved back to the old town where my Dad used to live before he came here.

She couldn't have ran to far and neither could Hawk, they both were still lingering around here somewhere and I could sense it.

"You're not leaving this place and if you do so, I'll drag you back myself and the next time, I won't be so gentle." He threatened, once more. It was the first time he had said those words and neither the last time.

"What are you going to do about it then?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest and letting the attitude inside me float out. He couldn't just be whatever monster my mother had turned him into.

"I'm not arguing about this. I've everything under control." He stood up from the bench and began walking toward the glass door of the backyard. "There is a lunch meeting at two. Be ready." He continued before opening the door and walking in the house.

I took in a quick inhale before rolling my eyes and groaning. I was trying to help him. That was all. He didn't have to be stuck-up about everything. It wasn't like I was going to run away again or leave him. I just wanted to find my mother so she could reserve whatever she had done—which I had no idea of still.

What was happening exactly?

I finished my tea and returned back into the house. While walking upstairs, I paused my steps near the large window stretched to the ceiling and looked outside to find the Wayne speaking to someone. I couldn't hear the conversation as I was inside the house and he was outside but I could tell he was telling the security up in the front to not allow me outside of the house, not without him at least.

The sunlight twinkled in my eyes and I walked away from the window, returning to my room and slamming the door behind me shut.

I grabbed my phone off the desk and laid on my stomach on the bed whilst going through the contact list. I had a lot of numbers saved and I hadn't changed my phone number even after leaving the town a year ago.

My Mom's contact was still there, her phone number and the messages I had sent to her. We hadn't been in any contact since a year. She had my number all along and she couldn't contact me once.

Did she knew? Did she knew all of the pain I had been through? Did she knew anything?

I pressed on the green button and dialed her number. It didn't rang. There was a long message of disconnection before the call ended by itself. She was no longer using the number.

Hmmph.

I was off doing the next best thing, attending the lunch meeting as Wayne had told me earlier. It took me a little while to get ready. As I was putting on my clothes, random voices reached my ears. The voices were manly, similar to the ones I had heard last night.

I didn't leave my room until I was all clothed as I expected for the meeting to be hosted at the office but it wasn't—it was here, on the ground floor of the house.

My dirt blond hair remained tamed as I had been excessively combing through them. They had thinned quite a lot but the shine didn't disappear yet. I threw on a black full-sleeves sweater with gray checker pants and a couple accessories here and there.

Before entering the den, I sniffed the air and eavesdropped from my room to understand what this meeting was about and who all had been invited. From the window outside, I could tell they were all men and from the scents roaming inside the house, I could tell they were all Alpha's—the same ones from last evening.

I suspected they were going to departure soon from the town and Wayne was hosting this meeting just to say his goodbyes and conclude it all.

After making an entrance between the men, Wayne introduced to each one of them, claiming me as his mate proudly. Not once he hesitated. There were at least twenty Alpha's in one dining room, all sitting and gathered at the heart of the town.

I noticed some of them from last evening. The Alpha of the Silvertail Pack, Julian, was an old man and according to Wayne, he was helping him find the cure for the poison and the blood thirst. He was the only one among the Alpha's that knew about the truth. The rest were here simply for a test as Wayne doubted them all.

He suspected that my mother had sold the new poison to one of the Alpha's and he needed to figure it out soon before a line of blood thirsty monsters could be formed.

"Aren't you a little too young to be mated to someone in his thirties?" Someone breathed down my neck, questioning me.

I parted the glass away from my lips and turned around to face the man that dared to question me. My skin ran cold as I met with gray piercing eyes, "Aren't you a little too old to be hitting on me?"

The man backed away and cleared his throat, "I'm not that old, sweetheart."

"You seem like someone who just died and was bought back to life. Maybe I'm stepping up but you should definitely get some botox for those wrinkles. They bring the grandpa in you." I whispered before walking away from the man.

I could feel his stare burning through my back until I didn't reach the kitchen where Wayne was in. He was on a phone call with someone until I had interrupted him.

"Someone just hit on me. Am I still young?" I felt slightly flattered but at the same time, it was nauseating as I already had a mate.

Wayne's eyes momentarily turned red before he calmed himself down and chuckled, "Was it one of the oldies?" He asked, mocking me.

"No, it was someone quite young." My lips straight and I mocked him right back.

He forced a laugh and grabbed my hand before pulling me toward the door. We didn't walk into the dining hall, instead, we stood afar and faced the men surrounding the table.

"Who was it?" He asked, forcing me to the point.

My gaze wandered around, searching for the man who had hit on me. He seemed young, though I had my own pleasure in insulting men about their age.

"The one in the gray suit." I replied while leaning closer to Wayne's ear so he could hear me properly.

"Mhm...." He trailed off. I could tell something was going in his head and it wasn't in regards to me. "Interesting."

I folded my arms across my chest, "What? Are you not jealous?" I pouted.

"I don't need to be jealous. I trust you in regards to men and I know, with all the power in this room, you still will only choose me, over and over again, till your last dying breath as you know that I only fill the hollowness inside you." He whispered in my ears, his hot breath fanning down my neck as I took in his every word.

Heat descended inside me and my heart skipped a couple of beats before I sighed and parted myself from Wayne.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr