Chapter 65

Chapter 65

"The killing machine has stopped working." Magnus barged into the house with something etched on his face.

It was the following week after I had finally snapped and turned normal once more. Drinking blood was a vital need and often times I found myself craving it than just wanting it. There were times where I had to hold myself back from harming anyone that had returned into the house, especially the workers here. But it wasn't anything worse than before. I was no longer losing my mind over it and distracting myself from having it was easier.

I held the can of the soda in my hand tighter before raising it and pouring the sweet stuff down my throat. Sodas and anything fizzy helped calming my nerves.

"It's momentarily shut off but there could be a relapse." I invited him into the house. "Wayne's not home. He went for run." I stated quickly as I expected him to be here to visit Wayne.

"Oh. Well, there was a note delivered to the office earlier in the morning. I thought of passing by here and giving it to Wayne myself." He stepped forward, pulling out an envelope with a red stamp over it.

My head turned crooked, "I'll give it to him." I stretched my hand, offering to take it.

Magnus quirked a brow at me in doubt, "You were killing people just a week ago. What if you don't give it to him?" He looked around, his eyes lingering over the staircase. "What if you have already killed him and keeping his body in storage?"

"Really?" I rolled my eyes and placed a hand over my hip. "Just because Wayne hasn't stepped out in a few days doesn't mean he's under my control or I'm holding him hostage or I have killed him. I'll give the note to him and I have stopped killing people." I clarified before raising my hand and taking a chug of the soda. The fizziness burned down my throat and bought me relief.

Wayne hadn't been out since a while, he hadn't met with anyone either, not even Magnus or his closest pack members. We were keeping it to ourselves, spending as much time as we could we each other and it helped us both in healing.

Magnus hesitated but finally handed over the letter to me. I quickly took it from his hands and read and where it came from.

The Goldridge Pack,

Street 34

My face turned pale and my fingers turned cold as I realized it was a letter from the Alpha of the Goldridge Pack, the same Alpha we had invited over to the house for dinner before I was poisoned by my mother. If she hadn't poisoned me, we would've interrogated Grayson and his mate, forcing them to eventually give up whatever my mother had sold to them a year ago.

"Thank you, Magnus. Have a good day!" I exclaimed, turning around and rushing upstairs to read the letter.

When I reached into Wayne's office, I walked over to the window, glancing outside and finding Magnus taking his leave from the house. On the other side of the window, I watched the woods closely, wondering if I should wait for Wayne to return from his run or simply tear open the letter and read what was written in there.

After cancelling the dinner plans with the Alpha of the Goldridge Pack, we didn't really think or re-planned anything else with them as I was poisoned and turning into a monster.

In midst of the chaos, everything was forgotten but now it was time to return into reality.

We needed to possess the poison as quickly as we could, before it could be used on anyone else. It finally made sense to why the man in the woods that night was acting psychotic and wild. The poison, once in the bloodstream, couldn't be controlled until something could be triggered, a strong emotion or a feeling.

Wayne had triggered his control a year ago by remembering me, wondering what I would say if I saw him drinking blood and the disgust I would feel when I realized the people he had killed.

The feeling of disappointment forced him to change.

For me, it was a simple look at my daughter's grave.

"What do you have in your hand?" Wayne asked, stepping into his office. I didn't hear him.

My heart jumped a beat and I turned, "When did you come?"

"Just when Magnus left. He told me he dropped off a letter. I'm assuming it's that?" His gaze lingered over my hand where I clutched onto the piece of paper.

My eyes trailed across his sweaty body, he was covered in dirt and his scent was stronger than ever. With my heart flipping, I stepped forward and closer to him. "It's a letter from the Alpha of the Goldridge Pack, Grayson." I told him.

"What does it say?" He asked, folding his hands.

I slowly pulled the sealed envelope open and grabbed out the letter. Upon opening it, I read the words loud, "Wayne, I have been trying to reach out but unfortunately, I'm unable to connect with you as your wolves have informed me of your break. We, Claudia and I, are willing to host you and your lovely mate at Swanhill for the upcoming weekend. Please accept are invite. I hope we can further improvise our relationship and strengthen our packs by binding an agreement and supporting each other. Oh, please send my regards to your mate, I have learned she has fallen ill. Grayson."

When I finished, I rose my head to meet with Wayne's eyes. He didn't say a word. His mouth hung open with surprise, just as mine.

"He knows. He's been in contact with my mother! I'm definitely sure of it!" I exclaimed, running back and forth with the letter still in my hand. "We hadn't told anyone. No one knew except for Magnus and Nora. Not even the security was aware that I was ill." My throat tightened and I ran my tongue over my quivering lower lip.

"Then it means he does has the poison—probably all of it." Wayne said.

I swirled around, facing him again, "We have to go!"

"No, it's too dangerous."

My eyes widened, "How?"

"It's his territory that we would be stepping into. We cannot fight on his land and if anything were to happen, we wouldn't live." He burst out at me.

I held my hands in the air, baffled, "It doesn't matter. Together, we have enough strength that we need. We learned control, Wayne. We are stronger than any other wolf in this world." I reminded him. "And we'll take men if we need to but this is our only chance to get the poison my mother had sold to him."

"No, I cannot drag my men into his horror." He shook his head, his eyes filling up with fear of what the poison could turn any person into.

"I know my mother sold the poison to someone and it's the Goldridge Pack. She's still in contact with them, and she must've told him about my sickness and the fact that I fell ill. We don't need any men and nor do we need to fight with Grayson. We will quietly seize the poison, and leave town before he can even know." I suggested him. I placed a hand over his arm and neared him. My voice lowered as I continued, "We cannot let this spread, Wayne. We managed to control ourselves but we cannot control other people and if this spreads, there would be no one alive."

"What about your mother?" He asked.

"We will hunt her down and kill her once we have destroyed her poison."

#

Read 20+ chapters ahead on Inkitt or Patreon:

Inkitt: www.inkitt.com/miakerr

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr