Chapter 27

Chapter 27

The burgundy strappy dress flowed down just above my knees. It wasn't revealing but it snitched on the right places and seemed perfect. After getting all ready, I descended from the steps to meet with Wayne who had been bothering me for the past hour to leave the room without getting my hair done.

I didn't listen to him. Not once.

His gaze met with mine and crashed. His eyes quickly spread, roaming over my body. It had been a long while since he had seen me dress up.

"You wish you fucked this." I stated, rolling my eyes and rushing closer to the door.

His loss.

His lips parted and his mouth remained open for the next couple seconds at my words. I had been irritated since yesterday, since he had rejected me and my advances and hadn't given me enough information to believe him that he still loved me.

"Let's go. Aren't we getting late?" I asked, snapping him back to reality and forcing his eyes to level with mine instead of my ass that barely went in through the short dress.

The hunger was visible in his eyes but yet, he didn't make a move. A strange pull controlled him.

"Y—yes." He snapped to reality and reached the entrance door with me. Pushing it open, he let me out first before leaving.

The engine of a black SUV was already running with a familiar driver sitting inside it. He stepped out and opened the passenger doors for us before getting inside the car and driving.

My breath became shallow and I tried not to panic. It had been a long time since I had attended any party or an event. The last one went terrible as far as I could think.

Wayne secretly slipped his hand forward, pressing his warm ones over mine. I trembled and pulled my hand from the leather seats of the car and collected them between my legs.

"Don't show me an attitude, Clara." He said, a little warning at the back of his tone.

The streets and roads were wet with the rain that poured a while ago. It was dark, only the light of the moon was brightening up the sky. No radio played in the vehicle so the sound of the tires running into poodles and Wayne's comments were clear.

I still ignored him.

He sighed and continued to look outside of the window. I did the same until we reached the place of the charity gala. It was held in a ballroom twenty minutes away from the house.

A while ago, just before I began getting ready, Wayne informed me about the event and what all was going to take place. It was a small event, not many people were invited but small in his dictionary were at least over a hundred people.

There were going to be a couple of dances along with some valuable, historic items that were going to be put up for auction. The main goal of the event was to raise money for a charitable cause.

A charitable cause.

That's where I got confused. What was the charitable cause? I asked Wayne about it but he didn't say anything, instead, he left me alone to get ready for the evening.

Cheerfully loud voices exploded as the driver stopped the car at the entrance of the ballroom. My ears perked, listening to everything. I wasn't here to enjoy or party, I was here to know about what Wayne had been doing all along.

My heart skipped a beat when he snaked an arm around my waist as if I was his girlfriend. I inhaled slowly and followed him to the entrance where only my ID was checked before I was allowed inside the ballroom.