Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Pressing my hand against my mouth, I took the stairs up and then slammed the door behind. There was a loud thud and then silence after that. I could no longer hear the taunts of my own mother. Her words had pierced into my head, deeper than I had imagined.

Was I truly selfish?

I stepped away from the basement and into the corridor where silent whimpers became loud. A tear fell from my eyes and onto my hand as I covered my mouth with it, to kill the sobs before anyone could hear it.

Did I lose my child because I was meant to be alone? I thought about it for long and hard. At first it was unbelievable that my own mother would spat those words out to me. What had I ever done to her? I had been nothing except for a good daughter for the longest I could imagine. I distanced myself from her when I realized the truth but that was all. It didn't mean I was cruel and selfish.

I never asked my mother to do anything of the things she did. I never asked her to weaken wolves for me or poison Wayne, for me.

Footsteps cascaded toward me and I stopped crying momentarily. My hands ran quickly over my cheeks, rubbing them dry and I cleared my throat before turning around.

"Are you crying?" Wayne asked as he met with my teary eyes.

"No." I swallowed hard.

"Don't lie to me," He reached closer, almost taking me in his arms. "What happened? Did your mother say you something? I heard from afar. Did something happen?" He began.

I pursued my lips together and shook my head while denying everything. The last thing I wanted for Wayne to see that I was crying. I didn't want him to believe I was weak anymore.

"Tell me, Clara." He placed his hand over my elbow.

"Please," I refrained the tears from spilling yet they spilled. "I don't want to talk about it now." My voice broke as I continued and I turned around, away from Wayne before he could see me in a vulnerable state.

"Clara, don't hide from me." He swirled at the way I turned and stood idle in front of me. "Please. Tell me. Regardless of everything, I don't want to see you like this." I could hear the pain in his voice, the need to know what had happened.

But I didn't know how to bring the words to my lips. I didn't know how to repeat what my mother had said.

I opened my mouth, forming the words but as soon as I did talk, my voice broke, "I can't. I'm sorry." I breathed out as my throat tightened.

He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer to his chest. "Shh, tell me." He whispered while rubbing my back. "It's just your mother. Whatever she says, it's probably going to be rubbish. Don't think too hard about it, Clara. You're better than this."

"She told me I was selfish and I didn't deserve to become a mother," I said, crying with every word. My eyes burned and watered while I kept my hand close to my mouth. "She told me that everything she had done was because of me and I never appreciated it. She told me it was good thing I didn't become a mother. I—I don't know, Wayne, I feel I'm going to—" I could no longer form the words as tears gushed out of my eyes and I sobbed heavily in his chest.

"You know she's lying. She's just trying to provoke you. That's how evil she is," He parted himself away from me and cupped my face. Leaning down, he whispered, "You deserve everything and more. We both know that well. Don't take her words seriously, Clara. If you want to believe someone then believe when I say that you are not selfish and that you will become a wonderful mother one day."

I ran my tongue over my lower lips and sniffed, "Really?" I asked, breathing heavily and my voice raspy.

"Yes." He nodded.

The guilt soon vanished away, like it had never been there. For a moment, I really did think about my mother's words and what they had meant. But as Wayne made me realize that she was a cruel woman, I forget her words, all of them.

He was right.

The tightness still remained in my chest after I wiped away most of my tears and wrapped my arms around Wayne where he held in his embrace for a few long minutes. Inhaling his scent, I figured where my comfort was. I took in slow, cautious breaths and got myself together. My mother's words remained in the back of my head and I intended on burying them.

"I'll kill her if you want me to." Wayne said, his tone as low and dark it could get.

I shuddered briefly. "Please, do." I hadn't given it a single thought but I knew deep down, I didn't want my mother in my life. She had been banished away, she shouldn't have returned or done anything.

Why couldn't she leave us alone?

"I'll go down with you and we'll talk. Let's see if she dares to utter anything to you in front of me." He continued, holding my hand parting me away from his embrace. His eyes were filled with confidence but I knew my mother, she wasn't going to stop blabbering bullshit, even in front of him.

Either-way, I still agreed with Wayne and went back downstairs into the basement where she was still locked up. There was no way for her to escape and she couldn't leave, not unless we were going to let her leave.

My insides curled up when I returned into the same room as her. Wayne held my hand while walking. My mother glanced at him and fury flashed in her eyes momentarily.

"What is this?" She asked me.

"An intervention." Wayne replied before I could even bother giving her questions a thought. "Which Alpha have you sold the poison to?" He stood tall and courageous in front of me while I was behind him, merely listening and straying away from this all.

I had nothing to say to my mother, not after she had insulted me and my motherhood.

"Why would I ever tell you that?" She hissed at him and in response, he growled at her, defeating her in every way. She wasn't as strong as him, neither of us were.

Wayne crouched beside her, a mischievous grin spread over his face before he spoke, "See, your daughter gave me the permission to kill you. Therefore, the only reason you're alive is because I want you to be alive. Nothing else."

"Then kill me. You'll never figure out who I had given the poison to," She chuckled, throwing her head back. "And soon, you'll see the number of monsters double day by day and nothing will be able to control what's coming then. Not even you, Alpha." She mocked him and tried to terrify him.

I heard her closely, taking in her every word.

As soon as it clicked into my head, I grabbed Wayne's arm and pulled him out of the basement while my mother was left to rot alone until we needed more information.

"She sold the poison to someone..." I trailed off while walking upstairs. "But she's not going to tell you which pack or Alpha. You were right. You have to figure this out on your own. I know my mother, I can trace her steps and help you in finding out who it is."

"We don't have time to search through every pack, Clara." He groaned and slammed his hand against his head. It came to him as a surprise that the poison had been sold. Before, it was just an assumption and even then, Wayne couldn't figure out who had it.

"It's fine. Whoever has it, isn't using it as of now so we got plenty of time to find it out. As for my mother, I believe we should just leave her downstairs for as long it's possible or until she begins spilling some actual shit." I continued, giving him my thoughts.

Wayne's brows drew apart before he sighed, "Fine."

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr