Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Why did he bring me here? That was the sole question running in my head. All my years in this town, I had never been invited to a pack meeting, even after being marked by Wayne.

I quietly followed him inside the office and studied everyone. Some of the faces were familiar while the others weren't. Usually, high-ranking wolves were only requested to come to the pack meetings, the others were left behind.

My memory sharpened when I thought about Brian, who was the Beta of the pack for the longest time. Along with the memory of him, came pain—a lot of it but I couldn't do anything about it as he was dead.

He was killed by Wayne soon after he had killed the unborn within me. I didn't stay long to learn about the aftermath of him and the rest of his family but I assumed they were banished from the pack.

I crouched over an empty seat and sat down while Wayne fled to the corner where a man approached him and then a woman. The unfamiliar woman was the only woman in the meeting apart from me.

I tried to recall who she was or if I had seen her before around the town but nothing came up. I hadn't ever seen her here. She had to be someone new that had joined the pack.

But why she was talking to Wayne?

I pulled back a few strands of my hair away from my ear and listened closely to their conversation.

"We received a few calls earlier as well. Everyone is shaken up. Thomas' pack might be weak but they do have an army. Their Beta has been sending written threats all day long. We might fear if he sends another form of threat." The woman said, giving out a few envelopes to Wayne.

"An army without an Alpha—it shouldn't stir up any problems." He replied, opening up the envelopes where I assumed the threats were written.

I ignored everything and had my focus on the new woman. She was tall, taller than me. She had the scent of an unmarked female wolf which meant she was still young and with the looks of it, probably in her mid-twenties. Her brown hair was long, cascading over her shoulders and back. She wore a tight skirt, the cloth barely covering her knees.

I rolled my eyes and looked away.

Who was she and why was her presence stirring jealousy inside me?

Wayne stepped away from the woman and approached the table. He sat down and placed the envelopes over the table for anyone to read. I remained quiet as this wasn't my place. I was simply dragged along here—for nothing.

My attention was set on the woman as she walked behind Wayne and sat down right next to him. It only furthered my anger. Why was she so close to him? While her eyes were on him, my eyes were on her, never leaving as I imagined the worst. Did they fuck?

"Were you present in Estemont on the night Thomas was murdered?" One of the elders asked Wayne.

Hair rose over my skin out of fear. This was my problem and Wayne took it all over his shoulder.

"Yes," He nodded before his eyes clicked to mine. "I was there and I killed Thomas—" A couple gasps rose between the crowd before Wayne continued, "He held my mate hostage and threatened her. He had it coming."

Judging eyes turned to me and the way they were all looking at me, I assumed they were all aware of my whereabouts and what all I had done in the city, Estemont, over the last year. It was common for the high-ranking wolves and the leaders of the pack to update themselves on banished and lost pack wolves such as me.

"We can't risk more threats, Alpha, especially with all the things happening around us. It's too dangerous." The woman, the snarky little woman, spoke up. Her voice was lady-like, soft and perfectly alluring. "But at your request, I did research on the pack Thomas ruled. They have numbers but not strength. We can simply debunk their speculation and be in the clear for as long as they don't get any proof. It was just one person that had seen you at the night Thomas was killed. No one else, right?"

My heart beat hard when Wayne looked at me and then shook his head, "No."

"Better. I'll ring them up and speak to their Beta, see if we can sort out things without provoking them." The woman continued and my gaze burned through her.

She was the new Beta of the pack.

Fuck.

But the scarlet on her cheeks was saying something else and the way she looked at him. It could be possible that I was assuming things but if she was the new Beta of the pack then there was a chance Wayne might had something to do with her.

The discussion lasted for a couple of more minutes. I heard different things from different people. Half of the contestation didn't make any sense but again, I wasn't supposed to be here.

From what I could gather, the packs surrounding the area around us and Wayne's pack were dealing with a problem. I didn't know what it was as it wasn't mentioned in the meeting but it was keeping everyone on their toes, including him.

Therefore, the secret meetings that were held every now and then at numerous events and galas made sense.

Hmm.

Soon, the meeting came to an end, the elders walked out and then the high-ranking wolves. I sat down in arrogance, tapping my feet on the ground while waiting for Wayne to be done speaking with his female Beta.

They stood near the door, chatting with each other, giggling and laughing. I clenched my fingers into a tight fist. I was jealous, jealous that Wayne had replaced his murderous Beta with a female one.

Couldn't he find anyone else?

"I'll see you tomorrow, Allison." He said, a wide smile on his face while the woman moved her hand in the air and walked out of the office at last.

By the time she was gone, I was red and furious. It was the wolf within me, urging me to snap Allison's neck and claim my mate once more.

I bit down on my lip hard, controlling myself while Wayne walked back inside the room. He closed the door behind himself and before anything, my mouth ran wild, "Are you fucking her?" I asked, cocking a brow at him.

The smile disappeared from his face and disappointment unleashed itself, "Are you out of your mind?"

"It seems like..." I trailed off, my hands tightly folded across my chest while he hovered closer to me. "It clearly seems like she wants to fuck you and vice versa."

"Clara." His voice rose and the entire atmosphere changed in seconds. The way he spoke to Allison was different, sweet and to me, he was all rude, arrogant, egoistic. "She's my Beta."

Double standards.

I stood up from my seat and scoffed at his words, "And you couldn't find a male one? Or even an older female? Was there only one young female left in this pack to become the Beta?" I asked, taunting him while anguish swirled in the pit of my stomach.

"It's not like that, Clara." He wrapped his hand around my elbow as I tried to walk past him. "I didn't fuck her, if that's what you want to know."

"I don't believe you."

Read the full book on Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr