Chapter 49

Chapter 49

It had been a tedious task to call Grayson and his mate, Claudia, over to the house. At first, we tried to come up with everything that wouldn't seem odd as we didn't want to attract any negative thoughts from them. We didn't want to let them know that we were ambushing them in any way.

After another long hour of deciding, Wayne finally placed a call over to Alpha Grayson's Beta who then handed the phone to the Alpha of the pack, the man we needed to bring in and question.

Upon hearing his voice, I was more than sure that he was in possession of the poison and that it could be only him my Mother would have made a deal with.

The Goldridge Pack was a known, favored pack around the area. It wasn't far from the town but not closeby as well. The drive could gather around for three long hours but by plane it would be merely a few thirty minutes, even less.

Wayne invited Grayson and Claudia over for brunch and to discuss future pack matters that couldn't be discussed at the charity event earlier as it had been interrupted with me, trying to kill another Beta from deceased Thomas' pack.

I wanted them to be here earlier than later but we didn't want them to know we were hurrying in any sort of way so we decided on brunch tomorrow in the morning instead of dinner tonight.

"If they do not have the poison, this is going to get quite lengthy then." Wayne whispered to me, his voice gruffer than usual and exhaustion in his eyes as they wandered around the empty office.

We had let Magnus and Allison leave once we had realized the pack my mother had sold to the poison to. Their help was no longer needed.

"I just know they have it," I breathed out before turning away from the window and facing him. "If they do, do you have an idea to how you're going to get it? Obviously they won't just hand it over." My hands were folded across my chest as I was thinking hard and fast.

The entire day had passed by and I had barely even moved from Wayne's office. The only time I moved was when I went downstairs to check on my mother and offer her food. Asides from that, I couldn't think about anything else than the poison.

I had reasons of my own to why I didn't want anyone to get poisoned.

I couldn't be able to bear the blame if people were turning into monsters left and right, like Wayne had become one.

There was a whole werewolf world out there and if the word came out that it was my family that had created a poison that could turn a werewolf into a monster, I would be dead and there wasn't much Wayne could do for me either.

He couldn't protect me from everyone regardless of his pack's position and his title.

"I'm thinking of stealing it. Do you have a better idea?" He asked me, not sounding sarcastic at all.

"Why would you steal it?" My eyes widened.

"Why wouldn't I?" He cocked a brow at me and acted as if stealing was alright.

I mean.

"Well, it's not going to be easy. We don't even know where they are storing the poison. From what my mother told me, it has to be stored in a warm place and the poison will loose it's affect if it touches any low temperature, anything less 36 degrees." I told him.

"I'll handle it," Wayne walked over to his table and pulled out his phone from underneath the piles of sheets. "Go rest. I can take care of everything else."

"Seriously?" I blinked at him, shocked. "I'm trying to help you."

"I know and I don't want to drag you into this. You helped me, I'm grateful..." He placed a hand over his chest, just a inch away from where his heart rested. "But there is nothing more you can do. I have the men and I can handle the rest from here. You can go get some rest and get something to eat." Somehow, I didn't like his tone or the way his words left his mouth.

I turned around to the door and murmered, "Bitch." My hand reached for the handle and before I opened the door, I heard him behind me.

"What did you say?" He breathed down my neck.

"Nothing. Just what you heard." I smiled at him and then shrugged.

"Don't give me an attitude, Clara."

My jaw hung and in shock, I spun around to face him with fury coursing through my veins, "I'm giving you attitude? You're just trying to push me away even when I'm helping you. You—" I raised my finger at him, levelling to his eyes. "You are ungrateful!"

"I'm grateful, but I cannot have you around me." He said, baring his teeth to me. "Do you want to die? No? That's what I thought. Go, let me control myself and I'll be with you in an hour."

I snorted at him and left from the office.

Just as I was about head upstairs, I caught a glimpse of the kitchen and the food I had given to my mother. None of it had been eaten and Nora had bought it back. It had been a couple of hours now.

She couldn't think of starving herself to death, right?

"She has not eaten?" I stepped into the kitchen and Nora who had been cleaning it.

"No, though she tried to attack me when I went into her room." She replied with fear in her voice. "Your Mom is wild."

"I know," I shook my head while my eyes were fixed over the food. "Well, I'm going to go give her something to eat."

I grabbed some food from the fridge and warmed it up. In the meantime, Nora made a little sandwich for my mother and I took it downstairs into the basement where she was still screaming. She couldn't possibly scream for the rest of the night. It had been only one day and she hadn't stopped. Not even for a second.

"Oh, look, my useless daughter has returned!" She exclaimed upon hearing my footsteps grow louder in the basement.

I rolled my eyes and went into her room. Opening it, I stepped in and placed the food on the ground, just an inch away from her.

"Eat or you'll die." I told her while standing back up.

"I rather die."

"Well good for you," I was about to leave until something crossed my mind. "By the way, I figured out who it is." I leaned over my mother, getting a bit closer to her. Confusion spread over her wrinkled features as she furrowed her brows together. "Grayson."

She faked a scoff, "No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes!" I exclaimed louder. "It is him, isn't it? What did you get from selling it? I don't see you have any riches or money." I glanced over her, eyeing her from the top to the bottom. "You're nothing except for a rogue..." I trailed off, reminding her of her position since she was banished from the pack.

She seemed a lot more miserable than she was before. Her hair was untamed, her clothes were shagged, torn from different places. I doubted she even had a place to stay or a home where she lived.

"You don't know what I got." She smiled at me and suddenly, I wanted to know what it was.

"What?" I lined my lips straight.

"You're never going to know. Not everyone wants money, Clara. Some people want something else." She replied, softly but with a hint of mischief in her voice.

"Oh. I know what it is. Power. That's the only thing my selfish mother desires."

Read the full book on Patreon or Inkitt. www.patreon.com/miakerr www.inkitt.com/miakerr