23: Visit From the Gods

Ehe, today is a very special day, because . . . 

*drum roll*

It's my birthday!!

Also it's the first kinda introduction for the Elys kingdom, which is nice. Also, there's a lovely cliffhanger waiting for you at the bottom.

Have a nice day~

The pronunciation guide.

Gods:

Filla = Fi (as in filter) La

Pilo = Pie-Low

Elif = Lei-if

Delia = De (as in desk) Lia

Schivia = Schi-via

Places:

Mehm = Mem

Mehmsia = Me-hem-zia

Special note: Schivia's voice sounds like that elf what's-her-name who's Kurami's friend from the anime No Game No Life.

Brackendale, the Neutral Territories

Four months ago

It was well past midnight when the small group that had been progressing steadily through the woods stopped.

They scanned the area for anything that might be listening before the tallest one lit a fire.

The eight of them settled around it.

Fayn broke the silence. "So is there any reason you called us here?" The firelight shone on his blonde hair.

His bad attempt at a joke did nothing to lighten the mood.

A few birds crept closer. Alvar shooed them away.

"You know why I called you here," Glimmer said seriously. "We need to talk about the Neverseen."

Ruy absently twisted the force fields in his hands.

"What about it, exactly?" Gethen asked.

"Gisela. Vespera. The way things work now. I don't like it."

"It's true, Gisela has changed," Fintan agreed. He cracked open a bottle of human beer, seemingly unaffected by the conversation.

Glimmer rolled her eyes at him, and turned her attention to Elen and Fayn. "We have to do something about it. There are other people who think the same way we do. If we band together, we could—"

"Start a rebellion?" Fayn asked coldly. "Overthrow the Neverseen? Do you really think that would work, Glim?"

"I'm hoping it does."

Elen glanced over at Pixel. "You're going to side with them?"

Pixel was Elen's mentor at technological things, and like Sophie and Gethen, they shared a rather special teacher-student connection.

Pixel nodded.

Fayn sighed. "We literally have no choice, do we? Just tell us the plan."