Inktober Special: Spiders

Ok so this oneshot is really short

It's set after Ravel's death and before the prologue. Just to straighten out the timeline, here is a rather handy chart of how old the Guild of Moonlit Shadows members were when they joined the Neverseen:

Glimmer3 Alvar8 Ruy4 Sophie2

Glimmer4 Alvar9 Ruy5 Sophie3

Glimmer5 Alvar10 Ruy6 Sophie4

Glimmer6 Alvar11 Ruy7 Sophie5

Glimmer7 Alvar12 Ruy8 Sophie6

The bold marks the age that person was when they joined. I use the term 'joined' loosely, as Glimmer didn't swear fealty when she was three years old. I mean that when they were at that age, these four first came into contact with the Neverseen.

In Sophie's case, she swore fealty quite quickly (in a matter of days).

As for Glimmer, she had no parents or other family, and was therefore sent to a camp similar to the one Sophie and Fayn were in after Ravel's death—a base designed to raise children who had nowhere else to go.

But like swearing in or not, all of them were suuuuper young-

Unlike the last chapter, which was minor angst and fluff, this is just straight up wholesome

Uh for anyone with arachnophobia and a really vivid imagination, well-

I wish you luck.

It started on a random Sunday.

"GAH!" Glimmer yelled from the kitchen in the underwater Guild of Moonlit Shadows base.

Sophie looked up from where she was reading a novel at the table. "What's wrong?"

There was a crash, and Glimmer shouted back, "Stupid spiders tried to invade the pot!"

Sophie chuckled, and went back to Light, Wind, and Dreams.

Suddenly, across the span of two days, spiders began appearing everywhere. Alvar drowned hundreds of them in a cupboard with a grimace. Ruy took to carrying a gun everywhere.

"Darn spiders!" Alvar yelped one day, slamming the door to the kitchen-living room space behind him.

As if on cue, a wave of dead spiders washed past, driven by the underwater currents. They were clearly visible through the glass walls.

Everyone shrieked.

Ruy walked in on Glimmer pacing around the room one morning, clutching a baseball bat and muttering under her breath.

Pixel came to visit them several days into the whole ordeal to make sure they were settled—they'd only officially become a Guild a month ago, and had therefore moved into the watery base just last week—and was immediately chased through the corridors by ten spiders standing on top of each other, balancing precariously.

"What is going on?" he demanded a few minutes later, after they'd gotten rid of the spiders and were gathered in the living room.

"These stupid spiders keep invading," Ruy said, tearing a hand through his hair. "I have no idea how they get down here, since we're on the ocean floor, but they seem intent on disturbing us as much as possible."

Glimmer shuddered. "There was a massive pile of them on my bed yesterday—and they were stacked up in a humanoid form. I THOUGHT IT WAS SOPHIE AND THEN I WENT A BIT CLOSER AND IT WAS JUST A TON OF SPIDERS!"

"I can think of one way these spiders could get down here," Pixel chuckled.

Sophie looked at him curiously. "What's that?"

Pixel put a finger to his lips. "All I'll tell you is that one of you is pranking the others."

The four of them exchanged looks of alarm.

"Anyway," Pixel got to his feet, "I was going to move in, since I'm your operator, but I think I'll stay out of this place for the time being. Good luck finding out which one of you is the perpetrator." He waved, and disappeared back aboveground.

"Isn't it Pixel himself?" Glimmer said suspiciously, scowling because he hadn't told her.

"I think he's too busy to spend his time pranking four kids," Alvar reasoned.

After several more days of spider related pranks, Ruy caught Sophie teleporting the creatures into the base to give them (he assumed) Telepathic orders. The three of them descended on her with fury and chased her around the base for most of the day.