49: Manipulative Intent

Welcome to chapter 49!

I barely managed to write this because I was too lazy to do it during the week and then yesterday I was like OH YIKES😅

There are like... about 2080 words in this chapter, not including this author's note thingy.

There's one trigger warning: brief suicidal thoughts

Also I am going to go on hiatus for two weeks! (For the time I get spring break).

I'll start writing again when the new school term begins.

Basically my reason is that I need to learn, like, seven years worth of kanji, plus catch up on a bunch of stuff in each of the subjects—in both English and Japanese. So yeah... I'm about to get really busy😭

Also if anyone would like to see a really random video of a bunch of characters from MTE texting each other I actually made one this morning. (Yes, I waste my time doing things like that instead of writing the chapters lol).

Well, I'll see y'all in two weeks!! (Actually it's closer to about ten days, instead of fourteen, if that makes it any more bearable).

Byeeeeeeeee

"I am Emery," Sophie's opponent declared, giving a bow from the waist up, one arm across his chest. An insincere smile stretched across his face. "The head of the elvin Council. Allow me to extend my apologies for postponing this meeting for so long. I am afraid the Elys' actions caused far more damage than we anticipated."

"I am glad we were able to make a time that worked," Sophie said.

"As am I," Emery agreed. Lowering his hand, he continued. "The Council thanks you for your efforts to defend Everglen yesterday."

"That was mostly the work of the bodyguards," she replied smoothly. "I don't deserve any of the credit."

"If that is what you say, then we shall pretend it is the truth."

"Why, thank you."

Small talk.

An unnecessary 'pleasantry' that diplomats and the like used at the beginning of important discussions, to maintain a friendly front, and to try and search for their opponents' motives and weaknesses.

As the conversation turned towards the Black Swan, Sophie could already tell Emery was probing for her thoughts. Figuratively, of course. He'd never be brave enough to try and read her mind in public—it wouldn't look good for him if she accused him, and even if he tried to claim that she was lying, there would still be some remaining mistrust. He couldn't afford a blemish on his name, and something like that would only add to the public sympathy towards Sophie. (That was currently nonexistent).

Sophie suspected Emery had mostly agreed to this meeting all those months back when the first battle of Atlantis occurred to try and find out who the leader of Phoenix was. Now that she'd officially revealed herself before the Council, the card he'd wanted was in his hands.

It was just up to him to decide when to play it.

"Might I have your opinion on a decision I'm thinking of making?" Emery asked, quite suddenly.

"Are you sure it's alright to tell your enemies what you're planning to do, Councillor?" Sophie said, making sure to emphasize the word enemies, mocking the Telepath for treating her like a friend.

Kenric hid a small smile as he noticed the insult behind the words. When he caught her eye, he wiggled his eyebrows, almost like he was saying, Nice one.