54: Speculation

I'm here!

*dramatic music plays*

Ah yes, thank you, thank you... *dramatic bowing*

Thank you all for your supportive comments! Midterms were a really terrible experience for me, and you guys helped me bounce back into a positive mood! 🎊🎉🥳

Well, I'll see you next week!

Enjoy!

*curtains swish closed*

"Sophie?" Amy breathed. Her voice was a trembling whisper, like she was afraid that Sophie would disappear if she spoke too loudly.

Sophie, on the other hand, wanted to scream something. She hadn't felt like a child in a long time, but now that she was in front of her older sister again, the strange want to be a five year old was bubbling up inside of her.

Jin, clueless as ever, said, "Yup! She's a bit weird, but—"

Amy started across the living room, suddenly, almost tripping over a chair in her haste. She put her hands on Sophie's shoulders. "How are you alive?" she choked out.

"I want to ask you the same question," Sophie said, keeping her voice steady as she ignored Jin's tilted head and raised eyebrow.

"I thought you died," Amy muttered, sinking to her knees in front Sophie. Her grip went slack, and her hands slid down Sophie's arms until their fingers were touching. "When I woke up, they told me you'd died and sent me off to an orphanage."

"I . . ." Sophie swallowed, remembering the screeching brakes and her mother's heavy body draped over her, protecting her. "I ran."

Jin walked over to the counter and started pouring tea, guessing despite his utter idiocy that he shouldn't interrupt their conversation. Amy led Sophie to the couch, sitting her down.

"You can tell me your story after I've treated your wounds."

Sophie started to protest, "It's just a few scratches."

Amy eyed the gash above her collarbone. "So I guess you have zero self-preservation skills?"

"Where did you get that?"

Amy rolled her eyes and pulled a first aid kit out of the cabinet to their left. She cut through the torn fabric of Sophie's shirt in order to get to the deep wounds.

"Y'know what?" Amy started washing out the cut on her right arm. "I can't bear the curiosity. What happened to you, just then?"

"I was attacked," Sophie said sarcastically.

For some reason, Amy didn't ask anything other than, "Why?"

The water stung as it washed through, wiping the blood away. Amy took out a roll of gauze and wrapped it around Sophie's arm, pulling the material firmly so it would stop the blood-flow. She moved on to Sophie's collarbone, starting the process again.

"I'm not sure," Sophie admitted.

"Who attacked you?" This time, it was Jin who asked the question. He walked over to them, balancing three tea cups on a tray.

"Well . . ." Sophie stalled awkwardly, not exactly sure how she was supposed to tell them, You see, I run this rebel organization in a secret war that you don't know about, and the wolf that targeted me was probably sent by one of the numerous people who want me dead. Oh, and guess what? I'm not human!

They would definitely think she'd gone mad if she tried to explain with something like that.

"Um, I was walking along the street, and this person with a knife attacked me!" It was a lame excuse, but hopefully it would . . .