57: The Party At Ezria - Finale

Uhhhh so I just discovered something-

I've been writing the word 'cooly' in the book a lot and apparently it doesn't mean, like, what I thought it meant?? I don't really want to go back and change every single time I've written cooly, so just uh...

When I write things like 'she said cooly', it means that "she said it in a cool manner".

Maybe I'm completely wrong and it actually means what I thought it meant, but just in case lol

This chapter's a bit short but the next one really kinda picks up from the slow pace we've been moving at recently.

Enjoyyyyy

"Flor, Frey," Sophie greeted.

The siblings snapped out of their trance as she approached them, offering a greeting. They exchanged looks before curtsying and bowing respectively.

She waved her hand a little, an indication that she wasn't here for a fight. "How's the party?"

"Boring," Frey admitted.

Flor elbowed her brother. "We're having a great time, thank you."

Sophie chuckled. "There's no need to pretend. It really is a boring party. But don't tell anyone I said that," she added with a slightly mischievous grin. "No one's supposed to know."

Both of them gave her strained smiles.

"Is the Neverseen doing well these days?" Sophie asked, taking a spot along the wall beside Flor. "Do you still have that treaty with the dwarves, or did Gisela decide to betray Enki?"

"Oh, um . . ." Flor studied the table in the corner hard enough to burn a hole through it. "We're doing alright. Gisela was fuming when you guys left, as I'm sure you know, but she's managed to rebuild most of our forces. It was impressive. She's been recruiting people left and right, and I barely know anyone in the halls now."

"How are things with Phoenix?" Frey asked, just as awkward as his sister.

Sophie swirled the drink in her glass absently. "Going well, going well. You must've heard about the incident the other day, when we raced with Ilith to take over the sky? It was quite an interesting battle, though you could hardly call it one. Our headquarters are in the air now, and it put me in quite the pickle when I got thrown out of the window the other day."

"Yes, none of us have been able to fly," Frey said. "I hear it caused quite the pandemonium in the human cities, too. I don't believe a single plane has lifted off the ground from an airport since the forcefields went up. They're afraid less of the shields and more of the danger behind them, even if none of them are sure what that danger is. The Neverseen has decided not to take any risks, too."

"I'm honoured," Sophie laughed. She reached into her pocket, removing a tiny orb, and rolled it around on her free hand. "Anyway, as you've probably guessed, I came over here with an ulterior motive. How do you two feel about joining Phoenix? The offer extends to the other members of your Guild, too, but I won't pressure. The final decision lies in what you want to do."

It took two seconds for the siblings to properly process her words and display their shock. Whatever they'd been expecting her to say, it hadn't been that.

Sophie tossed the orb up into the air and caught it with the same hand. It was a communications device, developed by Pixel, made for two way transmissions and nothing more. In this instance, it was a test.

She handed the object to Flor. "You can use this to contact me, or you can hand it to Gisela and stab me in the back. Make sure you don't regret your decision."