Inktober Special: Dangerous

Merry christmas guys

I can't believe there are only like four prompts to go

It's suuuper stormy rn i swear the house is about to fall over with how crazy the thunder is but um

Ye

Enjoy the chapter!

Fayn was introduced to his new Guild members barely two months after the blood from the Lakeshore Dyed Scarlet had been scrubbed clean from his skin so hard he'd almost rubbed himself raw.

He'd been summoned to Lady Gisela's office, where she told him she was assigning him to be the captain of a Guild, and that was that. There was no room for protest, no chance to tell her that he wanted to be Sophie's right hand, or that leading wasn't suited for someone like him.

Alright, as long as it wasn't to Gisela, he could admit that the last one was a lie.

Fayn was the heir to the Claudo family, raised to hold the last name on his shoulders like a merchant would shoulder their wares, taught to have the elvin nobility's notions of public image and politics around his ankles and wrists like a prisoner would have shackles wrapped around them. Fayn was nothing if not a leader.

Had been nothing, if not a leader.

Now, he wasn't so sure.

But Gisela wasn't the kind of person who would be willing to listen to everything he was thinking, so he swallowed what he had to say and accepted quietly.

The four of them walked to the training room in silence.

Fayn watched their faces carefully, trying to get a read on them. Trying to see if he could trust them without—

Blaze Fincher, Guster and Pyrokinetic. He looked angry, and kept shooting sharp glares at Fayn. His skin was olive brown, and his black hair was cut closely to his head. It looked pretty spiky.

Rayli Foh, Guster. She walked in a perfectly straight line, hands tucked into her pockets. Her eyes showed none of what she was thinking, completely blank. The emotionlessness reminded Fayn of what Sophie had been like when they first met.

Serena Alfindale, Charger. Her blonde hair fell a fair way down her back, and ever so often she would reach up to twist a few strands around her finger. Between those motions and the carefully done lips and eyelashes, she looked like she belonged in the elvin court, not in a rebel camp. What had led her here?

"Shall we introduce ourselves?" It was Serena who spoke first, when they arrived at the training room and stepped inside.

The map had yet to appear, and at the moment, it was just a huge, white room. Every surface was padded, to prevent someone from slamming too hard into the wall after escaping the boundaries of the holographic map, and it made Fayn think of a human lunatic asylum.

"Lady Gisela already introduced us," Rayli replied.

Serena bristled. "Yeah, but she didn't say any of the personal things! She just said our names and abilities and stuff. If we're going to be friends—"

"Who said we were going to be friends?" Rayli asked.

Fayn, who had spent time around Sophie, could see that she was genuinely curious. But Serena, unused to deadpan voices and blank stares, immediately started trying to argue with her.

"Are you picking a fight with me?" she snapped. "Do you need to disagree with everything I'm saying?"

Blaze rolled his eyes, crossing his arms as he leaned against the wall beside the door. "Yeah, who said we were going to be 'friends'?"