Special Chapter 3: The Case of the Angel Suicide

I hope there aren't any plot holes.

This was super rushed, because I procrastinated, as always, had to write this 3800 word chapter in just one day. Oh god please never again... I promise I'll remember my deadlines next time😭

The picture above is Sophie's character design for this chapter! She's heavily inspired by Bungo Stray Dogs, as are the other three 'main' characters in this chapter. I haven't made designs for then yet, but I'm getting to it, so those should be out in the next few weeks.

Once I finish all four of them, I'll post them on my instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/mits.violin/

Also, it doesn't look like it because of her clothing, but Sophie is actually five in this chapter😅 It's set, like, a few months after she joined the Neverseen.

'san' is a Japanese honorific, used for both people older than you and people you do not know well. It is very polite.

I hope you like the incredibly messy and utterly unedited chapter! I will go back to fix anything I need to fix tomorrow after school~

See you next week!

". . . where's the head?" Fintan asked, as delicately as he could manage.

"Over there." Sophie gestured towards the mangled thing leaning against the far wall, its features mauled almost beyond recognition.

"Ah. Right." Fintan swallowed hard, feeling the taste of vomit rise in the back of his throat.

There was blood splattered across the floor and walls, and even a bit on the ceiling. Dismembered body parts were scattered in various places, the remnants from what appeared to be someone exploding.

"There was no one on the security cameras?" Fintan asked.

Yanagisawa Ouki nodded from where he was standing at the doorway, looking quite sick himself. "It seems almost like Shirai-san woke up this morning and decided to explode, just as casually as one might order a hamburger at the local cafe."

"Maybe he had a preexisting condition," Sophie said, getting to her feet and leaving what appeared to be the left hand (minus three fingers, it seemed) lying in a puddle of blood.

"For what, exploding?" Fintan went along with the joke, trying to hide his disgust. "There's nothing else to be discerned from here."

When he glanced back, Sophie had fixed him with an expectant gaze.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Who's the murderer?" she said.

Fintan frowned. "I haven't figured it out yet."

A few different emotions flashed across Sophie's face—confusion, anger, despair—but they were drowned out with a cheerful, teasing smile. "And you call yourself a detective?"

Her tone was light. Falsely so.

"Thank you for showing us here, Yanagisawa," Fintan said. "I think I'll need a lunch break, while I try to process the information."

Yanagisawa nodded, and held the door open for the pair.

Fintan breathed a soft sigh of relief as he stepped out of the bloodied room. "Sophie, you coming?"

"Sure."

They parted ways with Yanagisawa, walking through the long backstage corridors.

Just fifteen minutes ago, a man had been found dead in the green room of the theatre. His name was Shirai Mikuto, the author of the play that was being shown tonight, the Angel Suicide. How he'd been killed was a mystery—it seemed as if Shirai had simply exploded, for no reason at all.