Chapter 6

The man who stood before me looks at me intently before his eyes widen.

"Where did you get that necklace from? The only person who had it is now dead. He would have given it to his daugh-" His sentence was cut short as if he just realised something.

He looks at me intently before his eyes soften and hold great sympathy. Why? I don't know but I do know that I don't like it.

"It's you," he whispers as if speechless.

Just at that moment Blake cuts in, "And how do you know each other?"

"I don't, he just looks like someone I know," I explain to him, hoping the man in front would be the man I thought or realise he's mistaken me for someone else.

"No it's definitely you, it's you, Skylar Rose Green." He says making my eyes widen, was it really him?

"Your father was Ezra Green, he was my brother, which makes you my niece. He used to talk about you all the time." My shoulders sag down in disappointment. Wait a minute, what did he mean 'was'?

I voice my thoughts, "Was?"

His green eyes sadden as he nods, "He died four years ago, it's been tough for us but we all got through it."

He's really dead?

I then processed his words fully. It irritated me. What did he mean it's been tough for them? Tough for them? It's my dad who I just found out died. It's me who had to work hard to pay the bills. And it's me who had to grow up faster.

And he says 'it's been tough for us'. He has no idea what I have had to gone through all these years after dad left. Yet, it's been tough for them?

"Tough for you?" I spit bitterly. Before he could say anything I spoke again, "No one even told me he's been dead all these years."

That was when it really hit me, my father is dead. The only one who truly understood me is dead.

I sit down right there, pulling my knees up to my chin, the anger for this man long gone.

I stare into the distance and reminisce the memories we had together. A small smile flitters across my face as I think back to when he gave me this necklace. Unconsciously, my hand flies up to my necklace, holding on to it for dear life.

It's the last thing he gave me before I made him leave. He might still be alive if I hadn't driven him away. It was my fault, all my fault.

The last memories were relived as I came to that fact that technically, I had killed him. The smile falls off my face instantly.

I stand up and turn to Blake, "Maybe I should go."

He shakes his head, "No, no, we can still go."

Then his dad chips in, "No you can't go we have to talk and I have something very important to give you as well."

I sigh understanding where he's coming from. I check the time and see that we had wasted a long time talking and only have twenty minutes until Dylan finishes school.

"Okay, I will pick Dylan up then come straight back here." I said. He nods in confirmation and Blake and I go back outside to his motorbike.

We get back to our school and as I am walking to Dylan's school, both bells ring. I smirk, that was great timing. I see Dylan walking up to Dylan and I and I wave at him.

He runs up to me and I pick him up, spinning him around. He has already brightened my day.

"Dylan, this is your cousin Blake. Blake this is Dylan, my baby brother," I introduce them formally to each other. Blake surprises me by picking Dylan up and kissing him on the cheek.