Chapter 27

I ventured further into the apartment, my feet submerged in the cold water.

Never mind the possibility of being electrocuted, I would just have to hope the TV's cord fell out of the plug socket when it managed to drop to the floor.

I was lucky Dylan was out of hearing range when I let an expletive slip from my mouth.

I did not want him picking up on my bad habits.

Hopefully, he would learn from all that I had done and do the exact opposite in future because I couldn't remember the last time I had done something remotely right.

It was always bad decisions one after the other.

And somehow one or the other led to the apartment getting flooded.

I dragged my feet towards the bedroom and my stomach dropped at what I saw.

All that I had saved up was ruined.

I picked up one of the many notes floating in the water only to have the money rip and splash back, the sound of it hitting the water reminding me just how hard I had worked to earn that.

I didn't know if all my money was submerged under water and was starting to stress at the thought of it.

Surely not. I mean, the water hadn't even reached the height of the bottom of the mattress where it was stored.

Quickly, I forced my hand under the mattress, searching for the money I knew I had stashed here for safe keeping, only to come up empty.

How was this possible?

How did the money even get in the water in the first place?

The questions clouding my thoughts did nothing to ease my mind and calm me down.

I didn't even notice Zach approaching me until I felt his breath on my neck, breaking me from my worries.

My back pressed against his front and I relaxed against it, attempting to clear my mind from the pointless questions that nobody had the answer to.

"Hey, I'll see what I can do. You can sleep at our house if you need to and if you're not comfortable with that, then I know Blake has space."

Zach offered, trying to help.

I only frowned, not at his suggestion but at a noise I was sure I heard. I definitely didn't imagine it.

"I'll just call-"

"Shhhh. Hang on. Do you hear that?" I interrupted, a sound I couldn't ignore starting to annoy me.

If I could listen closer then maybe I could register what it was.

He quietened down and I recognised where it was coming from. I moved away from Zach's warmth and towards the bathroom.

All the taps were gushing water –the sink, the bath- and it all became clear.

This was not a result of the storm. No.

And it was most certainly not one of us who accidentally left the water running.

Towels were used to block the drain and I realised that he must have been behind this.

But why move me out of a place he knew I was staying in?

I didn't understand him, nor did I want to be around long enough to understand him.

Fuck. Dylan.

Maybe it was all a distraction. As soon as he got his hands on Dylan, I would be willing to do anything to get him back into safe arms.

Even if that meant agreeing to go with him.