Chapter 15

I woke up to the sound of distant voices coming from downstairs and that was when I realised I was not in my bed. Memories of yesterday came rushing back to me and I remembered falling asleep here. I relaxed into the bed knowing I was safe.

Instantly, Zach's scent engulfed me. That strong bittersweet grapefruit with sparkling pink pepper, warm vanilla and a tough amber musk. I snuggled deeper into the bed, relishing his scent, the smell was interesting but I liked it. I found it comforting.

I listened closer to the voices and could only make out Shaun's. Wait, what's Shaun doing here?

I was about to get up when I heard the sound of giggles from the other side of the door. The door creaked open and the face of a young girl peeped out at me.

"Hello Faith," I greeted.

"Hi. Can I come in please?" I nodded, patting the spot next to me on the bed.

I heard her small feet patter across the floor before another giggle escaped her mouth. She climbed onto the bed and smiled at me.

"Well, what brings you here?" I asked softly.

"Um, I wanted to play a game and Lyla doesn't play with me. Can you play with me? Please?" She pleaded.

"Of course sweetie, what do you want to play?"

Her face lit up and her small hand clutched mine. I was dragged out of the bed by a squealing girl, jumping in excitement.

"We can play kings and queens. You're so pretty, you can be the queen." She squealed. I laughed at her enthusiasm.

She opened the door to her room. Her very, very pink room. Pink walls, pink bed, pink wardrobe. Pink. I guess she likes the colour pink.

She ran off through another door before coming out in a dress, a crown and some other items. She handed me the dress and a crown. I held it up in front of me.

"Um, Faith, I don't think this is going to fit," I told her.

"You don't know until you try." She looked at me seriously.

Putting the dress over my clothes that I was still wearing from yesterday, I found out that the dress came up to my hip.

A shriek came out from the girl in front of me. "It fits perfectly! Now you just need this crown." I looked at her incredulously. Fits?

She put on her dress and we started playing, running away from the evil dragon that had locked us away in a tower.

10 minutes passed and the door opened. I froze and looked at the person. Zach.

"I see you've been having fun." He smirked at me.

Before I could reply, Faith ran over to Zach. "Can you play too?"

Zach looked down at her, "No, sorry. I'm too old to play this game."

She pouted, "But you always play with me!"

His eyes flickered to mine before returning to Lily's. "I d-don't." He stammered.

Lily glared at Zach. "Don't lie, you played with me the other day. You asked if you could be the princess because you wanted to wear the dress and I said no."

I stifled a laugh, "Come on Zach it will be fun. Just for 10 minutes. You can even be the queen." I smirked.

He sighed, "Fine." Although he didn't take the crown I offered him. He went through the same doors Faith had gone through earlier and came out in a knight costume.

10 minutes later and we were saved by the knight in shining armour, Zach.

He knelt down in front of me and took my hand into his larger, calloused -yet soft- ones. He ducked his head down and kissed my hand, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles.