Chapter 20

I plopped down on the seat at lunch, the others already chatting away. It had been a week now since Zach and I had the argument and we hadn't really talked since then. Sometimes one person would notice the other staring but they would quickly turn away.

Our friends had felt the tension rise over the week and although they didn't ask what happened, they knew something did.

We just went about it the wrong way but even so, I wasn't apologising. I seemed to always be the one apologising.

But I didn't care, I had Dylan and Shaun. That's all I've had for a long time and all I needed. It didn't need to change just because I found friends.

In fact it was better to cut any relationships with them now because as Easter was close –we broke up for Easter holidays at the end of the week- it meant that day was nearing.

I was brought out of my thoughts when Lyla asked, "So, doing anything special over Easter?"

I shook my head, my eyes flickering to Zach. "Not that I know of. What about you?"

He was slumped in his chair staring down at his phone.

"Nothing really. Our Dad's coming back from his business trip with Mum so I'm sure they'll be happy for you to join us for dinner sometime."

I nodded before furrowing my eyebrows. "Wasn't your Mum here not too long ago? I mean I never met her but that's what Zach told me."

She nodded. "She was but then she had to go back. Anyway, what's going on between you and Zach?"

I shrugged my shoulders and noticed Zach lift his head up but quickly looked down again, wanting to know what I was going to say.

"Nothing. We just got into an argument and haven't talked since then. I mean you should know, you were there."

She tilted her head in confusion. "When did this happen?"

"The morning after the party but then again, you were asleep on the bar stool. But it doesn't really matter, nothing happened."

Zach stood up, making a loud screech as he scraped his chair back. He walked out of the canteen as we all just stared at his retreating figure.

What's wrong with him?

I stood up as well, contemplating on whether I should go after him.

What do you mean, 'what's wrong with him?' What's wrong with you?

I ignored that stupid voice and walked out right after him.

It was just annoying. He was just annoying. He couldn't even stand being in the same room as me despite there being so many others around.

Where the hell had he gone?

I turned left down the corridor, hoping he went this way.

Only a few steps down the corridor, I found him. With someone else.

Zach and Queen Bee –what her name is I didn't know. I don't think she had ever told me it but if so, I couldn't remember. They spoke calmly to each other by the lockers, Zach's back facing me.

I couldn't stop now, if I did and I turned around then it would only put me in a worse position if they saw me.

Carrying on, I made my way down the hallway. Just as I was passing them, her eyes caught mine and in that moment they widened slightly.

She uttered a quick, "We'll finish this at your house later," to Zach. It was the only thing I heard from their conversation but it made me walk faster.