Chapter 31

A/N:

Just as promised, it's a Saturday and I'm uploading. If you'd like me to add another day of uploading then just let me know! I'd be more than happy to know which day you'd prefer whilst we're stuck in quarantine.

~~~~~

I woke up to Shaun's arms twisted around me under the covers.

Careful as not to wake him up, I wriggled out of his hold and stood up. Taking out a random t-shirt from his wardrobe –the trip all the way back to my room seeming too far at this time of the morning- and pulled it on.

Goosebumps littered the skin on my bare legs as I hurried to find a fresh pair of boxers.

Once dressed, I made my way downstairs, leaving the boy who always managed to sleep with a smile adorning his face.

As soon as I stepped out, my arm shielded my eyes, the bright light too harsh.

Without warning, my head started pounding -the repercussions of last night's hefty alcohol consumption revealing itself.

Shooting downstairs, I mumbled a quick 'morning' to Mila, looking for where they would store the medicine. I made my way to the downstairs bathroom but halted at the sound of multiple voices.

Did they really have to be so loud?

My head was killing me.

Locating the source, I found myself in front of a large wooden door, the sounds inside evidently louder now that I was closer.

Wait, what was even behind that door?

I don't think I had ever noticed it before. Or maybe it wasn't part of the tour.

A meeting room, possibly.

Ready to turn around, a familiar voice spoke up, causing me to listen carefully.

"Yes, but Ezra was killed by these people. This isn't the first time and..."

At the sound of his name I froze, ignoring everything else Zach continued to say.

Ezra?

Were they talking about my dad?

If so, I was involved. They knew the very people who killed my own flesh and blood. My own father.

Before I had time to process what I was doing, my hand raised and knocked on the hard wood of the door.

I came face to face with a wide eyed Zach as he peeked his head around the door, blocking me from viewing the room inside.

Damn, what was it? Why was he so secretive?

"Oh, hey Sky."

Oh?

Oh. I had ditched him yesterday after having freaked out.

I stuttered a weak response, remembering the events of last night. How embarrassing.

"S-Sorry, I-I was just trying to-"

"About last night, I'm-"

"Don't worry, I'm not here to- I honestly don't know why I'm here. It was stupid."

I pivoted on my foot as his hand rushed out to grab me, realising that I was –once again- making my escape.

"Skylar, wait. Can we just talk?"

Recalling why I had even knocked on the door in the first place, I nodded.

He let out a sigh of relief but I didn't let him get too happy about the idea of knowing more about my past.