Chapter 24

Slowly, my distress for the boys' safety at home edged away after being assured many times that they would be alright.

Tyler's mother had come rushing up the stairs to Tyler's room, where we had situated ourselves, when she finally found us.

She had been sleeping this whole time -through the lightning and everything.

How the woman did it, I didn't know.

We were currently eating dinner at ten o'clock, still surrounded in darkness as the whistling of the wind could still be heard over our chatter.

The flashlights dotted around the table didn't do much to help so only our food and faces could be seen.

The storm had not dulled and it didn't show any signs of dying down anytime soon.

I lifted the spoonful of milk and cereal to my mouth, some of the milk spraying out of my mouth when I saw milk spilling out of Zach's mouth.

Guess I looked the same as him now.

He seemed to notice this as he let a laugh out, nearly choking on the cheerios he chewed on.

I had opted for some cinnamon toast crunch, the squares floating in the now sweet milk. But I didn't regret my choice one bit.

It had been so long since I had these.

I wiped at my mouth with the tissue that lay next to my bowl, getting rid of any milk.

Tyler's mum, Mel as she insisted me calling her, sat around the table as well.

It was a family dinner.

Only, two members were missing.

"Hey, what was that question earlier? The storm interrupted us, you had answered yes to a question and we didn't get to find out what."

I was brought out of my thoughts at Lyla's words.

Unintentionally, I fixed my glare on her for bringing it up.

I had gotten away with that.

She didn't back down from my stare and only raised her eyebrows at my murderous look, though I saw a glint of fear swirl through her eyes.

How ironic. My murderous look had been the one to get me to answer that question in the first place.

And here I was using it on Lyla.

She took her eyes off me to look at Zach, as if asking him what the question was through her mind.

He ignored her, carrying on eating his cereal, no milk dribbling down his chin this time.

He looked directly at me, trying to get across his words from earlier.

They won't judge you for it.

But they would see me in a new light. Be wary around a killer who is new to the group.

Their trust in me would be lost and right now, I couldn't have that.

I always mentioned pushing them away but I delayed that, knowing I didn't have the strength to do that.

I was too selfish.

Tiffany was right.

He caught the slight shake of my head, casting me a look that I took as disapproval.

How did he expect me to tell them so easily when I could barely get my head around the fact that I did it?

That I was a cold blooded killer.