Chapter 26

A/N: Now updating every Saturday. Enjoy ;)

Our sleep only lasted twenty minutes because as soon as Shaun woke up we all did.

The sound of him stretching and the hand that hit my shoulder along with it made it difficult to sleep through his disturbance.

Well, it was good while it lasted.

"Sky? Oh my gosh, Sky. Thank fu-rry animals you're okay." Shaun slipped up on his words but was quick to correct the curse word that was about to leave his mouth.

The five year old would have had something to say about that.

"Yeah I'm okay. I was so worried about you guys though. No one would answer so we thought that the telephone line fell or something in the storm."

He raised his hand to scratch the back of his neck guiltily. "No, uh, my phone ran out of battery."

My glare pinned him in his place.

That was why I couldn't get a hold of him?

It was at that moment that Dylan decided it was the right time for him to leave.

Smart boy.

He held up his hands in defence, "When I did realise it was dead I tried to charge it but the electricity had gone. So had the lights. We literally had nothing but the moon to allow us to see because you don't have any darn torches in this place."

Damn, I guess it was also my fault. Kind of.

"Okay. Okay. When did this turn into a blaming match?"

He chuckled before pulling me into a hug. "But I really am glad you're okay. You are okay aren't you?"

I nodded against his shoulder. "Yeah, I had to stay at Tyler's with the boys and Lyla because they wouldn't let me leave."

At my comment, he held me at arm's length, allowing me to see his reaction.

"You tried to leave? Are you out of your mind? There was a storm." Shaun's eyes widened at what I had tried to do, disbelief clear on his face. "Did you want to get yourself killed?"

"What? No. I just had to see if Dylan was alright, I hadn't even known if you had picked him up or not."

He sighed in defeat, "Alright. I'm just glad you're safe."

He knew that nothing would stop me from putting myself in danger just to make sure Dylan was safe. And he respected that because he had no choice –there was nothing he could do to stop me.

But it must have been hard for him to watch me put Dylan before myself no matter the consequences.

My lips planted themselves on his cheek in a quick kiss before I pulled away.

Just like all the times before, he pulled me back into him.

"Hey, you missed." If the pout on his lips didn't tell me what he wanted me to do, him pointing to his lips certainly did.

I chuckled, "Still at it again I see." I pecked his lips in a friendly kiss, a laugh bubbling out of my lips straight after. "Better?"

He spoke with a cheeky grin, "Hmmm, I don't know. Maybe one more just to make sure?"

I pushed at his shoulder, another chortle resurfacing. "You're having a laugh."

He leant forward so quickly I couldn't stop him as he pressed his lips to mine gently and swiftly.

I didn't need to stop him anyway. We were friends. Nothing more.

It meant nothing.

He pulled back, standing to his feet as he looked down at me. "Better."