Ch 1

'My father of this world....he was a real psycho,' Athanasios thought.

He turned pale as he felt goosebumps all over his tiny body.

  'According to what I overheard from the maids' talking,'

  'This Ruby Palace that I'm currently living in, was originally where the emperor's concubines lived.'

  'In short, the emperor's harem.'

  'Or so it was until I was born.'

  'When the emperor killed everyone in the Ruby.'

  'My mother was a dancer invited to the royal banquet.She used to danced to her heart's content in front of the crowd of nobles who stared at the her in awe.'

'She drew the emperor's attention and was deflowered by him... But then she was forgotten. '

'And she died, leaving an infant behind, who was me. Since then, the emperor has cast me aside too, his baby boy. So I was raised by the wind rocking my cradle... I mean, the maids of the Ruby Palace.'

  The baby Athanasios thought to himself. ' What's this dirtbag of an emperor doing throwing his wife and son aside? Some family ... '

  'Leaving a baby like me here, where he committed such a cruel massacre... Ugh... since hearing that story for the first time I've been having nightmares every night.'

'But what scares me more than the nightmares...'

'Is the emperor that I've never even met yet.'

'Even born a prince I didn't get to be lucky...,' Athanasios thought. 'What if he suddenly goes cuckoo again and tries to kill me? Like he killed everyone who was here in this palace. I should think of something else. I'm scaring myself.'

The name I got in this life was given to me by my birth mother.'

      The words 'The Undying Athanasios'

  'Such an extravagant name for an outcast prince like me. It's the same name as the ill-fated prince in that romance novel, 'Lovely Prince'.'

'I suppose mother meant for me to live long and prosper in the emperor's care. Unfortunately, the Athanasios from the novel faces a tragic death at the age of 18.'

  'By his father the emperor himself, no less!'

'Why do I keep thinking about it?!' baby Athanasios thought with a troubled look on his face.

  The door suddenly slammed wide open and three maids walked into the prince room. They circled around the baby's cradle.

  "Hm, he's still not asleep?" one of the maids said. "Do we really need to be here? he can't move on her own anyway," she complained.

  "You know how fussy Lilian. So much trouble, that one," another maid said

  "Think of this as taking a break," a maid told the other.

  "What if he starts crying?"

  "Rock his cradle, so he'll fall asleep faster."

  'Aah, this again,' Athanasios thought. he sounded rather tired of what was happening. 'Let's not take it out on me, ladies, we're all stuck here in the Ruby Palace together!'

  'People would think I'm such a crybaby from the way you talk. I'm the most docile baby I know of!'

****

Lily carrying Athanasios who was wrapped like a burrito. 'Lily even worries that I don't cry enough, too!'

'The emperor never came to see me, so I suppose they're all belittling me as an outcast. Am I resentful? No way! My goal is to stay a forgotten prince, out of his sight for as long as I can.'