⁰³² | my secret

You sat speechless, too afraid to say anything lest you expose yourself.

Though you hoped he'd elaborate just a little and not leave you at a cliff-hanger, but your hopes were in vain. He had decided to end the conversation and all the teasing right there.

The smiles had vanished from his face; his expression now just dishearteningly dull, bored... blank.

"Finish up." he nodded at your lamb, brushing you off in a flat voice.

Something instantly deflated in your chest. You didn't realise how fast he could simply squash your spirits, how submissive you'd become so fast, obeying him so thoroughly. But you turned to your lamb and pondered hard about his implications. Just how does he know the dragon has taken a liking to you?

Did the dragon perhaps burn you somewhere? The way Aran branded your skin to mark you as his associate? What if the dragon has done something similar too? You were too... busy messing around with the dolts of Prison Paradisia to check for these details... My-

My EYES!

You secretively snatched the silver knife off the table, trying to make out your reflection in it. He said it's the look in my eyes. What's the look in my eyes? Is it visible only to him or is it visible to everyone else? No. I don't think everyone can see it. No, wait. What if everyone can tell I've met the dragon? That could land me in deep trouble. Is it why suddenly the cook asked me about the dragon? Because he could see it too? HOLY HOLY HOLY!!!

You shielded your eyes with your smol hand to ward of his ubiquitous gaze, hoping he can no longer see that 'look' in your eyes. This was... too dangerous. You think you should stick close to Tian for now. He is the only one who doesn't seem to want to hurt you as badly.

R-right?

You nodded to yourself in confirmation as you ate in silence. You're certain being Old Sage's second in command should make Tian quite involved with the creature too. He must be on guard, looking for it most urgently. Were you to confirm his doubts, Tian would definitely kill you in a heartbeat just to fulfil his duty.

But you're relieved he does not pry too much about anything as he lets you think in silence. He doesn't even show any signs of wanting to go and check up on that creature's latest appearance in the forest. Didn't they say it eats humans? You suppress a shiver, stomach lurching at the thought.

You do remember the skulls in its cave. Why didn't it kill you? Was it full that's why? Or were you just not delicious enough? Or... Is it true? It's really taken a liking to you? Why you? Where is it right now?

There are so many questions...

You are grateful for the food, and you make sure to show it by thanking him in a soft, shy voice as he gets up to pay. Why is he being kind to you though? Isn't that so... suspicious? He catches you staring after him as he walks to his stallion, raising a brow at you.

You quickly look away, not sure if you should follow him.

He rescues you from your doubts, beckoning you to him. You swallow timidly as you walk slowly in his direction, heart beginning to race. He tilts his head.

"What are you thinking?"

"I- huh?" you blink, caught off-guard.

"You want to say something to me." That's a statement. He's not asking you.

You meet his eyes nervously. "I- uh... S-should I come with you?" that wasn't what you wanted to say, but ok.

He lets out a sarcastic scoff.