⁰³¹ | certain trouble

[A/N]: hi ;) how's things going? whats the latest thing making you very happy in life? tell me all about it!❤️

When something distressing happens, it makes sure to happen in torturous slow motion. But whatever launched itself into your space releasing that deafeningly loud murderous growl was anything but slow.

It was so dark, you couldn't tell who or what it was, but it snatched away your assailant within the blink of an eye (placing you on the floor like a feather ) as it then got back to him and violently slammed him hard into the ground with a brutal, sickening force.

The other voice began to whimper, "No, plea-" only to be interrupted by a final THUD that led to a long stretch of silence, chills prickling your entire body.

You did feel a faint hot splatter rain against your cheek, burning against your skin. The man was obviously dead. But the terrifying sound of his skull getting squashed in like a hard tomato that continued to echo hauntingly in the walls of your brain was very much alive. Causing a wave of nausea to take over.

In the prevailing silence, you jumped as a pair of hands brushed against you.

You were so shaken, you began to shriek and fight tooth and nail wildly, but he shushed you, containing your violent flailing movements within his precisely gently but firm embrace, "It's alright, Yue, you're alright. I'm- here. For you. You're safe with me," he crooned again and again, trying to soothe you. But you weren't listening. You thrashed some more, but when his grip on you refused to loosen, you finally wilted in his arms like a distraught flower. Cheeks wet with tears. "Who-"

"They're gone. I made sure."

"Why." you managed.

He brought your head to his chest in a protective hug, holding you real close.

"Because this world is a wretched place."

You grimaced. That did not answer your question why the person was pushing himself so hard against you. It just felt all too ugly. You had a vague idea most pirates like to do this, but you were yet to understand how the science behind sex works. It still wasn't rocket science for even you to know what the man tried to do was very much intended to hurt you.

Why you was your question.

In contrast, the way Tian held you to himself just... radiated so much... comfort. You weren't being delusional, you could really tell the difference. The way Tian brought his sleeve up to your face, wiping the stains of blood off your cheek and eyelid so tenderly. Then he tucked your silky dark hair back into your hat, so you can continue to keep your disguise of a guy.

No, you had to know, "Why-"

"Let's get you something to eat." He cut in. "We'll talk after that."

You knew you might not. But you instantly grew aware of the darkness pressing on your vision, the limpness in your legs and the way you clung to the man for support. You hadn't eaten anything all day, but despite having consistently disappointing experiences with men this whole time, you couldn't help but rely on him for safety at the moment. He just seemed like your last resort.

And it was ridiculous how he kept your trust, effortlessly lifting you off your feet with this gentleness as if you're made of glass. And then with impressive strength, he helped you mount the sturdy animal – a regal horse. Then he mounted the creature in front of you as he gathered the reins in his hands.

Weak and dizzy, you collapsed into his back, inhaling his dreamy scent which was an intoxicating mixture of a starry fragrance mixed with musk. Your eyebrows relaxed as you took the scent in, his aura and his warmth... your breathing calmed down.