Chapter 5

Saturday morning I woke up bright and early. I don't know why, but something about today had me pumped.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm getting training later, or something I can't totally explain.

Whatever it was, I was glad I had enough energy to jump out of bed. Usually it's a slow, sloth-paced roll untilI end up on the ground, but not this morning.

I sat on the edge of my bed, wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do with all this energy, until I heard a familiar ringing sound coming from my phone.

I picked it up and looked at the screen. I usually dreaded this call, but today I was more upbeat about it.

"Good morning Han Han!" I exclaim.

"Good...morning to you too Em." She says her voice is hesitant. "You sound...awake."

"Yeah I can't believe it either." I tell her.

"So does this mean I have a better chance of you working out with me?!" she asked excitedly.

"Maybe..." I lead her on.

"Please, please, please Em! I need a workout buddy!" she begged.

"Alright, alright." I complied. "I'll go."

"Yes! So I'll pick you up in twenty?" she asked.

"Thirty." I compromised. "I may be up, but I'm definitely not a morning person."

"Fine," she groaned. "I'll see you in thirty."

"By Han."

"By Em."

With that I stand up with a stretch and walk towards my bathroom.

Being the only girl in the house my parents wanted to respect my lack of privacy, so they gave me the room with a private bathroom.

I freshened up and went back to my closet to pick something out. I chose a pair of leggings and a t-shirt, throwing a sports bra underneath in case I get too hot.

I grabbed my phone off the charger and headed downstairs, the smell of breakfast overcoming my senses.

Immediately I walk into the kitchen and find my dad at the stove.

He hears my abrupt entrance and looks over. "You're up early," he says, giving me a confused look.

"Yeah," I respond kind of out of breath from going down the stairs too fast. "I'm going to workout with Hannah. She should be here–"

My explanation is cut short by the blaring sound of a honk outside.

"Now." I smile.

"Do you want me to save you some?" he asks, referring to the plate of pancakes on the counter.

"If there's any left by the time I get back." I joke, opening the fridge. "If they want to finish them it's fine." I add, grabbing a water bottle and shutting the refrigerator.

"Have fun." he says as I walk out of the kitchen.

"Bye dad!" I call out as I open the front door.

I see Hannah parked outside and head to her car. I hop into the passenger's seat and she drives off. We arrived at...school a couple minutes later.

According to Hannah it was a cardio day, so instead of running on a treadmill inside she decided to have us enjoy the day outside.

"So, how much are we running?" I ask, setting my water bottle down in the shade.

"Five miles," she shrugs nonchalantly.

"Five miles!" I blurt out. "Who do you think I am? A marathon runner?!"