Chapter 36

Jackson's POV

"Look any longer and you might burn holes into the back of her head." I snap my gaze to my sister who walks up next to me.

"Shut up." I roll my eyes before glancing back at the scene in front of me. I'm already in a mood after being handed a loss, but I can't explain what I'm feeling as I watch Liam. Fucking. Bennett hit on Emery.

And worst of all, she's talking back. I know she has every right and reason to do what she wants, but I can't help but not like it.

"What's going on with you two?" Annabelle asks and I freeze.

"What are you talking about?" I turn to her, a little scared for...reasons.

"Well, I was expecting you two to bicker and argue my ear off while I was down here, but you guys haven't even spoken since the first night I was here." she explains.

"So? It's something called maturity." I tell her.

"Don't try to be smart. You know it's weird you guys haven't been talking. What happened?" she asked me.

"Nothing happened Bella." I say quickly, my ignorance growing and I start walking away the minute I see him hand her his phone.

"Oh c'mon Jackson, I'm not stupid." she tells me, walking in stride. "What? Do you like her?" she jokes.

I laugh nervously. "No." Yes.

"I think you do." She pokes my arm but I still don't look at her, having a bad feeling she'll know she's right. "I think you like her, Jackson." her voice raises an octave in a teasing manner.

"No, I don't, Bella. I don't like him." I give her half the truth.

He's a good player on the field, and we do have our little rivalry. I'll give him that, but I don't like the way she looks at him, the way all her attention is on him.

It pisses me off.

"You can't stop her from talking to a guy just because you two have some rivalry." She reasons. "Unless you like her enough to interfere then..."

"Oh my god Bella. I don't like her." I tell her again.

"You know, you're a really bad liar when it comes to how you feel." She smiles at me and I roll my eyes. "But that's okay. I think it's cute and about damn time you come to your senses."

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"Please. Lauren tells me all the time how your bickering is just a cover to flirt. And I think she's right." Bella explains.

My mouth parts before I face forward. "I'm done with this conversation." I say before picking up my pace.

~~~~~

"Jackson! Jackson!" I turn around to my sister's high pitched voice before she clings onto my leg.

"Yes Ro?" I ask as she stares up at me.

She motions for me to pick her up and I do, placing her on my hip. "Where are you going?" she asks.

"Across the street." I tell her calmly. "Why?"

She gasps and gets all giddy in my arms. "Yay! If you see Emmy can you tell her to come over? I want to color with her!" she exclaims.

I tilt my head at her, immediately feeling a little bad. "I'll see what I can do Ro but-I uh...think she's gonna be busy tonight."

"Oh." she says, a little dejected. "Well, ask her anyways please. I haven't seen her in a long time." The smile I know she naturally has comes back to her face.