Chapter 37

"So...does this mean we're on good terms?"

"Yes. We're on good terms Jackson."

That moment has been replaying in my head for the past twelve hours, nonstop. I'm glad-more than glad actually, that we made up. I got an apology and an explanation for everything that happened.

He was genuinely upset about the whole thing, maybe more than I was. It was hard at first, trying to talk and listen to him. I wanted no part in that confrontation, and that's something I've learned about myself. I don't like confrontation, especially with him, and especially over matters like that.

I don't like being mad at him. I don't like ignoring him. Hell, I don't like not talking to him. I've realized most of that over the past few weeks. I remember telling him that I would be better off if he wasn't in my life. I knew it was a lie then, but I believe it's a bigger lie now.

He told me I would be bored, and I was. Everything was weird and I was awful during the days we didn't talk to each other. I don't know if we'll ever go back to arguing and bickering like we used to, but maybe we don't have to.

I gave him the task to show me he cares because he knows I do. I've told him multiple times and I want the reassurance that he does too. I don't know if I fully trust him again, and I need to set boundaries on myself. Because I know how quickly he can make me feel.

It's scary.

I'm not sure what I want right now, but it's definitely not being on bad terms with him.

"Hey lover girl!" A teasing voice snaps me out of my thoughts. I turn my head to the side and see Kayla standing next to me. "Who are you hot daydreaming about?" She pokes my shoulder and points at my face.

"What are you talking about?" I ask her, facing towards the field again, watching the final minutes countdown off the clock.

"Well...it's just you're staring out into space as you're front row at a football game. And unless you sunburned your face, which you rarely do, I would say you're blushing." she explains.

I laugh and shake my head. Shit. I'm already blushing. Why does my face betray me constantly?

"I'll take a wild guess and say it's about a certain blonde haired quarterback?" Her prediction is far, yet close to the truth. It was a quarterback...just not that one.

I'm able to confidently tell her, "No." While simultaneously getting distracted by a few fans yelling and screaming.

I pay attention back to the field and see Jackson on the ground. I quickly realize he got hit; he gets up just fine and is able to walk, but it's when he bends over in obvious pain, clutching his hand, that I start to get worried.

The fans settle down as he walks over to the sidelines and Kayla gives me a weary look. He sits out for the last few minutes of the game, our backup quarterback able to keep the score from changing.

I head onto the field with Kayla after the game and although I go for my brothers, I want to check on Jackson, to make sure he's okay. I'm able to do both in one trip because my brothers are sitting with him on the bench.

I greet Elliot and Tyler before turning my attention to Jackson. "What happened?" I asked him, grabbing his wrist so I could look at his hand.

"Nothing serious." He shrugged. "The trainer said it's jammed."

"Do you have anything to wrap it?" I ask. He shrugs again and shakes his head. I know I shouldn't exactly be offering my services but didn't ace sports med for nothing. "There's some stuff at my house, I can wrap it when we get home, if you want." I add so I don't sound like I'd completely do it out of my own will.