Chapter 42

A/n - I'm actually peeing myself because you guys thought it was Liam at the door. I write things and you guys always take a different perspective which is hilarious :)

Anyways...onto the story!!

~~~~~

I think if a doctor put a stethoscope to my chest right now, my heart would make their ears bleed.

Because it quite literally, might beat out of my chest, maybe break a rib or two on the way. That's how hard the organ is hammering at this moment.

Elliot is a few inches away, on the other side of the door, and I need to figure out how to get Jackson and I into a better position.

I mouth an order at him to sit on my bed before I fake up a laugh and open the door. "Hey," I say in a forced welcoming tone.

"Hi, sorry to interrupt you two." He apologizes and waltzes into my room.

"Oh, you weren't interrupting anything." I laugh and give Jackson a glance when Elliot's not looking.

Jackson smirks at me, but then silence fills the air. I guess they were talking in some mute language because a few seconds later, Jackson was saying his goodbye.

"Well, he looks like he wants to talk to you, so I'll take my leave." Jackson stands up and they clap their hands together, adding a pat on the back. "I'll see you at practice El. Later dumbass." He walks past me and we bump shoulders.

I let out a subtle laugh. Then when the door closes, I turn back to Elliot and get nervous. He's giving me a serious look, which means we're about to have a serious conversation.

"So...what's up?" I ask him, taking a seat on my bed and inviting him to sit next to me.

He looks hesitant to even speak, but continues. "You like him, right?"

His question takes me by surprise, as much as I was expecting this to be discussed at some point, I didn't prepare for it to be now. Now I'm the one struggling to say anything.

"I guess," I start, but decide to rephrase myself and bite the bullet. "Yeah. I do like him." I say with as much confidence as I can conjure up.

But my demeanor stays nervous and he sees that. "Okay, I'm just making sure." he whispers. "This-you two-are new to me and as much as I'll try to support it, don't be afraid if I get icked out."

I absorb what he's saying, but my fingers still fumble with each other. I understand where he's coming from. Jackson has been by his side since day one, literally, they were inseparable.

I still ask myself sometimes why it had to be him? Why did I have to like Jackson? I mean, I could've had feelings for anyone else, mess around with anyone else, and if it didn't work then they'd be a thing of the past.

But not with him. If we got involved with each other, which we clearly have, I can't just one day decide to stop things. It wouldn't be the same, and more people would be collateral damage.

I can't just forget about him, throw him away like trash, because he's not. And I don't want to talk like this, but being with him is a risk, and if one day I lose him, everything would change.

I don't plan on ever doing that though.

"I get it El...and uhm, thanks for talking about it. I've been kinda scared to bring it up." I admit. "But I'm even more worried about what Tyler's gonna say."

He lets out a chuckle. "You can talk to him if you want, but he already gave Jackson his lecture and laid down the law."

"Oh god." I shake my head. "What laws Elliot?"