Chapter 17

The next morning was exactly like I thought it would be—with a few exceptions, of course.

I woke up with a pounding headache, my eyes so watery it felt like I was crying. I wiped my eyes and blinked away any tears that had built up while I was sleeping.

Last night as much as I could remember, Kayla drove me back to my house and I passed out. Waking up this morning I found Kayla asleep next to me. Somehow we always end up having these kinds of sleepovers.

Slowly, I sit up and squeeze my eyes shut, the light coming from my window too bright.

"Sorry, I forgot to shut the blinds last night." Kayla groaned.

"Don't–worry about it." I say exhaustedly falling back onto my bed.

"There's Advil on the nightstand." she yawns.

"Thank you," I mumbled, rolling over and finding a glass of water and two pills. I sat up and took them before Kayla got up herself.

The air in my room was chilly, and with the pajamas I had on I a shiver ran up my spine. I shook it off and stood up.

"We have thirty minutes." Kayla announces.

"Thirty minutes until what?" I ask.

"Diner." was all she said to me before ducking into my bathroom.

Oh shit.

I forgot about that. Our group meets at the diner after most of our nights out. It's really just a debrief session and a way to get over our hangovers.

The funny part is most people assume we go there for breakfast, but we don't even wake up until eleven. Which means by the time we get there they're done serving breakfast.

But that's fine because we all crave one of their burgers. It may be a diner but something about their burgers during a hangover is out of this world, like, the perfect hangover meal.

Fuck. Now I want a burger.

And I have fifteen minutes to get dressed if I wanted to get one. I threw on some looser shorts and a t-shirt before Kayla came out of the bathroom.

I brushed my teeth and fixed my hair to the best of my ability, though I couldn't put it up. Mostly because my favorite hair tie isn't on my own wrist.

It's on his.

I stared at myself in the mirror honestly feeling sick to my stomach. Because the only part of last night that I remember is exactly what I tried to forget. Even now.

And I remember every single painful detail about it.

I splashed water in my face to snap myself out of it. I prayed that it would help because I have to spend the next hour or two in his presence.

Stepping out into the hallway I saw Elliot come out of his room. Looking at all of us as we got downstairs, you could say we all looked rough.

It was a humid day outside. Checking the weather on my phone it was supposed to rain tomorrow morning. I heard the door slam shut from across the street and I could feel my chest pinch.

Because I knew exactly who it was and I was just hoping he–

"Jackson's catching a ride with us." Elliot mentions.

Fuck.

I quickly jump in the passenger's seat and rest my head against the window. I was stuck in my head for the whole ride.

I mean, I just couldn't get it. It wasn't fair. Two times in a row have we had these...moments I guess, and he's been able to forget about it all.