Chapter 9

It looks like they were serious.

About the whole "we're making everyone come for this historic moment" because everyone visited during my shift.

At first it was little kids, but as the night progressed the ages just kept getting higher and higher, until eventually by nine on the dot, the place was swarmed with kids from my grade.

Finn and Hannah were no joke. I had the entirety of my class in that parlor—all at the same time may I add.

And if that wasn't stressful enough, my coworker couldn't be any worse. Jackson and I were able to keep the insults to a minimum with the families and little kids, but once they were out—so was my patience.

Our bickering went on forever as kids kept coming through the doors. I had walked back from the register to take another order.

"Nate..." I said, realizing he was the next customer.

"Emery. Funny seeing you behind the counter." he pokes fun at the shirt I'm wearing.

I roll my eyes with a laugh. "I can't believe they got this many people here." I started a conversation.

"Well, when people hear that you two are in the same place, they consider showing up." he admits with a shrug.

I gave him a small smile—he was right. His statement proved more correct as I recall the last hour.

I've served mainly all the guys while the girls clearly insisted on waiting for Jackson to take their order.

They're so desperate I swear.

I mean, I don't really have a problem with it, but I just think it's unnecessary. You refuse to order just so you can strike up conversation with a douche.

He's really nothing special.

I shake my head and focus back on Nate. "What can I get you?" I ask, making my tone extra polite.

"Cookie dough." he responds, flashing me a smile as Tyler walks up next to him.

"Get me one too sis." he adds with no regard for cutting the line.

"Cup or cone?" I ask.

"Cone." they both say.

I step back from the counter and walk over to the cookie dough bucket. I take a cone and reach into the freezer before being bumped out of the way.

I glance up and see Jackson reaching for the same flavor. "Excuse you." I roll my eyes and shove him out of the way.

I reach into the freezer again only to be bumped to the side again.

"Jackson." I say, standing up.

"Emery." he replies, reaching towards the ice cream.

I push him back, "I need to serve someone."

"Well so do I." he counters, pushing me away.

"Nate and Tyler are waiting." I retaliated.

"So is Nicole."

I frown at the name only because Nicole is a living, breathing bitch. And one of Jackson's many conquests.

"Well friends are more important than some bitchy hookup." I whisper harshly, throwing an insult at her.

Despite rolling his eyes I can see the smallest tug upwards on his lips. "Whatever." he sighs, backing up.

I give him a toothy smile and thank him out of pure sarcasm. I place two scoops on the cone before returning to Nate and Tyler.