Chapter 48

We're ending it.

Well, I mean, I'm ending it. Whatever is going on between us is over. I like someone else. I'm dating someone else.

I groan restating my pointers in my head as my shift comes to a close at the parlor. "You good over there?"

I look at Jackson and finish wiping down the counters. "Yeah,"

We clean up in silence before locking up. I wait for him on the sidewalk, my nervousness growing and I haven't even made it to my car yet.

"Are you going tonight?" Jackson asks and it snaps me out of my head.

His hands run over the tops of my shoulders and I sag into him. "Yeah," I say again. "I'm just gonna be a little late."

"Do you mind if I know the reason why you're gonna be late?" He tries asking me in a polite manner, although, I notice his climbing curiosity.

I laugh. "You definitely wouldn't like it. Or him, I should say."

"Liam?" He guesses in a 'I already assumed that' voice.

I turn around and look up at him. His face is straight, but I can tell he doesn't like the thought of Liam and I together.

Pushing onto my tippy toes I give him a quick kiss before stepping back. "It should only be a short conversation."

I hope. This conversation has a higher chance of being longer than I want it to. That's why I'm determined to get my point across early.

Jackson pulls me back and kisses me again. "Just, be careful." The look on his face is still unsure and I think it's cute.

"I'll be fine Jackson. It's not like he's gonna swoon me into liking him again." I joke and he actually laughs. That's a good sign.

"Yeah because nobody can swoon you over like I did." He goads.

"You didn't swoon me. I swooned you, you asshole." I stick a finger to his chest.

"Wishful thinking Em." Jackson takes a step closer, eliminating the distance between us.

I would love to argue right now, shit, I'd love anything more than to not do what I'm about to do. But I can't push it back any farther. I'm doing this.

And I'm doing it tonight.

"We'll talk about this later." I flash a smile telling him this discussion is not over before I head to my car.

I texted Liam earlier informing him that I'd drop by tonight. I got sent back an "Ok" which threw me off, but I couldn't overthink it.

The drive over was stressful to say the least. The more I thought about it, the more pressure I was putting on myself.

It's true that there was something between us in the beginning, I'll admit that. But it's gone now and I shouldn't be nervous.

And I think 75% of the reason I haven't pulled around the corner yet is because I don't want to do it.

Looking in my rear view mirror, I see a car in the distance coming towards me. I hesitantly step on the gas and pull up to his house. A few deep breaths later and I'm at his front door.

I swing open the screen door and knock tentatively. My uncomfort only lasts so long until the door opens and I'm met with the guy I'm supposed to talk to.

"Hi Liam." I breathed finally, not feeling worried that no one was home or I'm at the wrong house.

"Hey Em," He steps out onto the small porch area and closes the door behind him. "What'd you need to talk to me about?"