CHAPTER TWO

THE HEIR FOR A DAY
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE HEIR FOR A DAY✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

112 AC, King's Landing

Valyria witnessed her first tournament when she was a young child of four summers. It was in celebration of her father's nameday and while she could not recall much of it, she remembered the feeling. The excitement from the cheering crowds and the happiness on the knights faces when they won. If she closed her eyes, it was almost like she had travelled back in time.

Dressed in a blood red dress of fine Myrish silks that left her shoulders and collarbones bare, her silver-gold hair styled into her signature look with the front strands braided into a bun at the back of her head, Valyria looked every bit like the Targaryen she was.

"Be welcome!" Viserys yelled out, trying to be heard over the cheers. "I know many of you have travelled long leagues to be at these games. But I promise you will not be disappointed. When I look at the fine knights in these lists, I see a group without equal in our histories. And this great day has been made more auspicious by the news-"

Valyria raised an eyebrow at Rhaenyra who had arrived late and tried to sneak into the royal box and to her seat without being noticed.

"-that I am happy to share: Queen Aemma has begun her labours." Everyone started clapping and cheering. Viserys finished by saying, "May the luck of the Seven shine upon all combatants!"

And so the tournament began.

Valyria did not really know what to think of the jousts. Some part of her found it amusing to see grown men get knocked off their horses, just because some of them truly needed it. But at the same time, it got a bit dull with time.

That's until a new knight entered the arena. "A mystery knight?" Rhaenyra asked in excitement from Valyria's right.

"No," Valyria shook her head, recognising the ten black pellets on scarlet displayed on the knight's shield. "That's the sigil of House Cole, of the Stormlands."

"I've never heard of House Cole," Rhaenyra said dismissively.

"Princess Rhaenys Targaryen!" Lord Boremund Baratheon said loudly, stopping before the royal box. "I would humbly ask for the favour of The Queen Who Never Was."

Valyria looked up at her cousin who sent a look towards the King before descending the stairs to give her kinman her favour. To be honest, Valyria did not know if that nickname was meant to insult Rhaenys or the King. She knew Rhaenys had been angered of being snubbed of a crown at the Great Council but Valyria had never understood why her cousin felt she had such a strong claim to the throne.

Valyria was the firstborn child of King Jaehaerys's firstborn son. Rhaenys was the firstborn child of the King's second son. If any woman had a strong claim to the Iron Throne it was her. Viserys had been granted Valyria's birthright, not Rhaenys's.