CHAPTER FORTY

THE SONG OF ICE AND FIRE
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE SONG OF ICE AND FIRE✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

132 AC, Dragonstone

The morning after the wedding, Valyria and her family – with the exception of Cyrenna who'd remain in King's Landing with Aegon – left for Dragonstone. When everyone was either too drunk or still busy with the feast, two Martell guards discreetly managed to detain Ser Berrick Cox and by the time they arrived back to Dragonstone he'd already been thrown in the dungeons below the castle.

Combined with Ser Berrick's drunken ramblings about a plot to kill Valyria and his connection to Ser Harwin Strong, the visit to Dragonstone during the time when Rhaenyra still ruled the island didn't look favourable for Rhaenyra. Of course, Valyria considered the younger princess's involvement just after the attack when she listed all the possible suspects.

Back then, Rhaenyra benefitted from Valyria's death since it meant Daemon once again would be free to marry. Which is why Valyria dismissed the thought because she couldn't believe her own family would sink so low; being bitter about Valyria marrying Daemon was one thing but to kill a mother of seven simply to gain a husband was abysmal and selfish beyond words. Therefore, Valyria never entertained the idea for long. But now...

She would not accuse Rhaenyra of anything without substantial proof. She'd have to interrogate Ser Berrick first to see if he knew something. Then – if Ser Berrick's testimony further proved Rhaenyra's involvement – she'd take action. But to get there, she needed to interrogate Ser Berrick first and it had to be done without Daemon's involvement.

Not because she distrusted her husband in any way. In fact, she was well-aware of the lengths he'd go to protect her and what harm he could inflict on those that ever dared to hurt her in any way. If he found out that a possible suspect for the assassination attempt on her was currently being detained in the dungeons, Ser Berrick would not live to see the next day. Either he'd end up being fed to Caraxes or bleed out from the excruciating torture the Rogue Prince likely would inflict on him.

"Where is Daemon?" Valyria asked Serra as the two descended the stairs down to the dark and cold dungeons. The heavily pregnant princess supported herself against the wall and slowly took one step at a time.

"He is teaching Aelia how to command her dragon," Serra assured her. "So he probably won't have time to search for you if you keep the interrogation quick."

"I can't exactly control how much he reveals to me," Valyria pointed out, smiling in thanks when Mors noted her difficulty walking and held out an arm to assist her; an arm he'd offered once before at the top of the stairs when Valyria still didn't understand how tired she felt from the pregnancy combined with the recent journey. "I don't think we can keep this from Daemon for too long. He has his own spies in our household and the court."