CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

THE TRAITORS TO THE REALM
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE TRAITORS TO THE REALM✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

132 AC, King's Landing

Aegon could not claim he'd ever been particularly close with his younger brother Aemond. The two didn't have much in common other than their parents. Four years might not seem like much of an age difference when you're old, but as two young men it felt like being decades apart. To Aegon, Aemond was simply an annoying child for most of their childhood and as they grew older, his younger brother became the symbol of everything Aegon wasn't.

The perfect son...

Always the serious and dutiful prince that had much more ambitions in life than Aegon ever did. Despite being born to a King with a named heir, the expectations of being a firstborn son had been placed on Aegon's shoulders since his birth. All those nobles — and his own family – that refused to accept Rhaenyra as the future Queen of the Seven Kingdoms looked at him as the next heir. A position he never asked for and definitely never wanted.

Not like Aemond did. A second son bored with a fiery internal drive to succeed his father as king. The only reason Aegon ever studied or listened to the maester's lessons was that he wanted to make Valyria proud of him; he knew she'd never judge his achievements or think him a lesser person for failing, she simply wanted him to try. Aegon made an effort to learn but never the way Aemond did. He who studied history, philosophy and trained to become a fierce warrior worthy of a crown that never would be his.

Many times, Aegon convinced himself that he hated his younger brother. Hated him for buying into their mother and grandfather's whims about putting a Hightower on the Iron Throne. Hated how everything Aemond did seemed to make their mother think less of Aegon.

Only Aegon could never truly hate his brother... not really.

Deep down, the only thing Aegon felt was regret for not being a better brother to him. For not helping his younger brother instead of pushing him away. If he had, Aemond might have seen the wrongdoings of their mother and grandfather a long time ago. He might not have become so blinded by his hatred for their nephews that he pushed everyone other than their mother away.

Now Aemond was dead and he'd never be able to mend their broken relationship...

When the battle had been won, Aegon had been overwhelmed by relief that it was over. That his wife, the woman he loved like a mother and everyone else he cared for would be safe now. Now, however, when the smoke had cleared Aegon was left with his own guilt for not only failing to save his brother, but also for the part he played in his death.

Taking down Vhagar took the combined effort of four younger dragons. Daemon would probably proudly declare to have delivered the final blow when Caraxes bit into Vhagar's neck and while Aegon gladly could blame his uncle for the death of his brother, it didn't lessen his guilt