CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

THE LONG AWAITED REUNION
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE LONG AWAITED REUNION ✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

127 AC, High Tide

Laena Velaryon's death came as a shock to everyone.

Words had reached Westeros that she was with child a few moons about and whilst everyone knew the dangers a woman fought through in the birthing chamber, no one ever assumed a woman would die simply because was pregnant.

The last time Valyria had seen Laena was ten years ago at Rhaenyra's wedding. A fiery young girl with her mother's beauty and her father's bold spirit. Much like their shared ancestor, Rhaenys Targaryen the sister-wife of Aegon the Conqueror, Laena was a true dragon-rider at heart; a free spirit that never belonged on the ground.

Lewyn would remain in Dorne and rule in her stead, like he did whenever she visited King's Landing, while she took the children to Driftmark for the funeral. Considering Cassian to be too young to ride a dragon on his own all the way to the Capital he got to fly with Elara on Canni while Aelia joined Cyrenna on Vermithor. Daeron, who still couldn't fly on Tessarion, rode with Valyria on Ānogara.

They'd reach Driftmark the day of the funeral and Valyria couldn't help but feel nervous and she cursed herself for it. As the three large beasts soared over the palace, she could see the royal ships dock down by the bay. Despite not being able to see anyone, she narrowed her eyes knowing that Otto Hightower had wormed his way onto the ship and into the King's graces again.

Valyria was usually good at swaying Viserys's opinion, but she could not convince him that giving back the position of Hand of the King to Otto Hightower was a poor idea. Lyonel Strong was the best Hand a King like Viserys could have; with his sickness and gentle nature he needed a Hand that wanted what was best for the realm. Not a snake like Hightower who only did what would profit his own family.

Upon her arrival, Valyria was greeted by Rhaenys. The two women hugged each other tightly. Then they were given some time to tidy up before the ceremony. Even as she made sure the children looked presentable enough in their clothes, her thoughts drifted to Daemon. She had spotted Caraxes when they landed and after a decade apart, it felt strange knowing that she could turn a corner and he'd stand there.

Since Qoren died, Valyria had mostly worn dark clothes since she was a widow in mourning. Not always black but darker shades of purple, blue, grey and sometimes red. Never the blood red dresses she usually opted for, nor other bright colours that now hung in her wardrobe in the Water Gardens.

For the funeral she opted for a black dress she had commissioned after Qoren's death. It had long, loose-fitting sleeves and a deep V-cut that would have shown quite a bit of cleavage had she not worn a dark red kirtle underneath that made it appropriate for the occasion. Around her waist she wore a belt of black belt clasped together with golden metal closure looking like two dragon heads joining. Due to the dornish style of the black dress, the red skirts underneath were visible through slits that ran up both sides of her legs. Some of her hair was plaited into a crown around her head while the rest hung freely down her back. The only piece of jewellery she wore was her necklace.