CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

THE OLD KING'S WILL
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE OLD KING'S WILL✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

131 AC, King's Landing

It had been years since Viserys called the entire court to the throne room. Even during the audience the previous day only certain court members had been called to attend. On this day, however, the entire Red Keep bustled about preparing themselves for whatever reason King Viserys had to assemble them all.

Despite Ser Erryk waking them up earlier than usual, court wouldn't take place for another few hours since the courtiers and royal family needed time to break their fast and make themselves presentable. Whatever Viserys planned, it was not so urgent that the entire keep had to rush to the Great Hall in their robes on empty stomachs.

For the occasion, Valyria located a black underdress with golden stitching of roses at the corset. Over that dress she wore a gown of deep red velvet with a deep neckline to reveal the golden roses on the black corset beneath. Instead of being laced up in the back, the red garment was kept together at the front by a golden belt. The red gown was held up by two wide straps over her shoulders and under her armpits it was connected to the long flowing sleeves that went down to her wrists. With the lack of time they had, Valyria asked Serra to only pull the front strands of her hair into a braid at the back and leave the rest cascading down her back.

Serra and Cyrenna assisted Valyria in making sure both Daeron and Aelia were dressed appropriately for the occasion. Since the two of them were young, it had become a little of a tradition to dress them in a matching fashion. With not even one year separating the two, they were as close as twins – practically joined by the hip.

Daemon and Viserys had both suggested Valyria betrothed them since they seemed so very fond of each other, yet Valyria had her reservations since it was clear to her they didn't like each other in any other way than a normal sibling kind of love. Taking into account that they were only nine namedays old, that could possibly change in the future but at the moment Valyria was not about to make their cute bond weird in any way.

"Do you know why Viserys decided the court, mūna?" Cyrenna asked as she finished twisting her little sister's braid into a bun at the back of her head. "All done," she then told Aelia, who jumped off the stool and ran over to check herself in the mirror.

"I have no idea," Valyria answered truthfully. "But we better not keep the King waiting." Turning to Serra, Valyria paraphrased her daughter's question, "Have you heard anything about the King's movements last night or this morning that suggests why he would assemble his court?"

"I spoke with – a friend of mine," Serra chose her words carefully, "this morning. When the King left your supper last night he did not retire immediately. Instead, he called for Lord Benedict Blackwood, Ser Paxton Redwyne and Archmaester Harmune. And this morning, all three of them were noted entering the King's chambers again. I then discreetly inquired from another friend when they arrived to the Red Keep and he told me that the King asked Lord Beesbury to write and summon them a moon ago."