CHAPTER ELEVEN

THE FUTURE OF DORNE
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE FUTURE OF DORNE✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

117 AC, Sunspear

Three moons had passed since the wedding between Princess Valyria Targaryen and Prince Qoren Martell.

Adjusting to her new position was a bit more difficult than Valyria had anticipated. Usually, she had no trouble finding her place; in her grandfather's and Viserys' courts, she always had a purpose. As a child she read to Jaehaerys and she sat on Viserys' Small Council.

Theoretically, it should be easier for Valyria to know what to do in Dorne since she actually had a real place there as the Prince's wife. With that came a few duties that she settled into with ease since managing a castle essentially was the same no matter the castle.

The only problem was how glaringly obvious it was that she didn't belong there. It was never more glaringly obvious than when she stood next to her husband. His dark hair contrasted to her silver locks like night and day; his skin was tanned whereas hers was pale.

Valyria would not change her Valyrian features for anything – she actually enjoyed the way it made her stand out in every room she entered. She was used to how only her own family shared her silver hair and purple eyes - what bothered her now was how people turned their noses up on her every time she said something or simply existed; how her appearance now was the proof of her shared heritage with the dragonlords of Old Valyria that only ever brought pain to the Rhoynish people.

She was brought out of her thoughts when an arm wrapped around her waist, rolling her around until she was looking at her husband. She never shared a bed with Lucian; he was kind enough to her but the two had little in common. When they married she was a young girl of almost four-and-ten while he was a grown man two-and-twenty.

He only climbed into her bed because he was pressured to do so. During her pregnancy he did spend a bit more time around her – Valyria believed he felt pity for how miserable and sick she had been. Her young body was not meant to carry twins and for almost six moons she had been bedridden and weak. Never before and never after had she felt less like a dragon.

In Sunspear, Valyria was given bedchambers close to her husbands that she slept in from time to time. Mostly when her husband remained in his solar until after nightfall or when one of the girls had troubles sleeping; at times Valyria thought the girls adjusted to living in Dorne better than her but it was clear that they missed their family in King's Landing.

"When I was a young boy, my father used to tell me about sirens," Qoren propped himself up on his elbow. "Dangerous creatures of the sea that lured sailors in with their enchanting voices and beauty. At times, I wondered if that is what happened to me."