CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

THE DARING IN DORNE
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE DARING IN DORNE✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

123 AC, King's Landing

It baffled Valyria how a boy who truly had been so loved when he was born now was neglected by both his father and mother.

Viserys' health gave him an excuse to why he couldn't be active in running around with his children the same way he did with Rhaenyra – and even Valyria – when they were children. However, it definitely did not justify him completely ignoring them all. During her time in the Red Keep over the past years, Valyria could count the times she had seen him interact with his youngest children on one hand.

Alicent was attentive but made it quite clear that she favoured Aemond and Helaena over Aegon. Everything Aegon did resulted in either a scolding or blatant disregard from his mother. Daeron was still but a babe, but Valyria doubted he'd grow up to be treated worse than his eldest brother.

As a child, Valyria believed Aegon would seek her out because she would play with him – unlike the other adults – but as the years passed by it became glaringly obvious that he sought a motherly love that he didn't receive from his own.

That night, when all the children were in bed, and Valyria dined with the King and Queen as well as the Prince and Princess of Dragonstone, she said, "I've been thinking about how we can further strengthen House Targaryens ties with Dorne," she said, breaking the thick silence.

At times she wondered if Viserys and Alicent ever dined alone with Rhaenyra and her family when Valyria wasn't present in the Red Keep. Because during these occasions she'd be the one to carry the conversation. The tension between the Queen and Crown Princess grew worse for every passing day it seemed; one could barely see the signs of the strong friendship that once bonded them together.

"Is politics really a proper conversation for supper?" Viserys asked, having clear issues eating his dinner with only one hand.

"It's actually more of a family matter that I'd like us all to discuss," Valyria said, putting down her fork. "My marriage to Qoren has brought Dorne closer to the rest of the Seven Kingdoms, yet there is still work to be done on our friendship with the dornish. I may be of royal birth, but I am simply a cousin of the King. Therefore, I believe there are ways for the Crown to express more – benevolence towards Dorne."

"And how do you suggest we do that?" Viserys asked, curious to what she had to say.

"If I was to foster one of the princes in Sunspear-"

"No, absolutely not," Rhaenyra interrupted her before she got her words out. "Jace and Luke belong here with me."

"I was not suggesting I foster Jace nor Luke," Valyria told her calmly. Knowing that she'd get the other mother at the table at her for her next words, Valyria braced herself as she added, "Actually, I was going to suggest Aegon."