CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT

THE FALL OF THE GREENS
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE FALL OF THE GREENS✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

132 AC, King's Landing

Ānogara soared high in the sky, hiding beneath the white and grey clouds that laid like a blanket over King's Landing. If one looked closely up at the sky, they might be able to spot a shadow of something moving around up there, but by the time they did a double take, it would be gone again. While the Cannibal, Vermithor, Sunfyre and Caraxes wanted to be spotted so that Vhagar – if Aemond decided to protect the capital on dragonback – would go after them instead.

This was somewhat of a compromise. Valyria needed to be seen – to show the nobles and the people of King's Landing that she was willing to die alongside those that bent the knee to her – but at the same time Serra had been right to claim that her most important duty was remaining alive to actually sit on the throne they fought for.

Until the gates had been breached and the Red Army managed to get through the capital, Valyria did have one important mission and that was making sure the citizens of the capital saw that their city was under attack – that the rightful queen was coming to take it back – and hopefully that would be enough for children and women at least to seek shelter inside, far away from the upcoming battle.

"Embrot," Valyria commanded and Ānogara quickly obeyed, diving through the clouds which revealed the city below. In the south-eastern corner of the city lay Aegon's High Hill surmounted by the Red Keep that overlooked Blackwater Rush. She could imagine how the castle was in a frenzy right now, preparing to defend themselves from the assault.

Her attention flickered over to the Hill of Rhaenys, in the north of the city, where the Dragonpit dome was located. Vhagar probably didn't reside there since the old dragon had grown to the size of Balerion during the Conquest but she still somewhat expected her to suddenly appear above the dome, releasing its mighty flames upon the city.

Down on the streets, the smallfolk gathered on the streets to see the unmistakable red dragon circle above the city. For years, the sight of ​​Ānogara had been a symbol of hope for the population in King's Landing. Since the death of their beloved Good Queen Alysanne, Princess Valyria had been the one to improve their life by donating food to the poor and creating work so that they could earn money to support their families.

While the people cheered and saw the scarlet red dragon as a sign of hope that they soon would be rescued from the Hightower's reign, members of the City Watch looked for another red beast. The Blood Wyrm released a mighty roar, signalling the beginning of the battle. When everyone was too busy by the sight of the Queen and Prince circling above the city, the Red Army launched its attack on all fronts.

What Queen Alicent and Otto Hightower didn't expect — because they could never see Daemon's strengths, only his flaws — was that many members of the City Watch remained loyal to their former commander. Despite being a terrible Master of Coin and Master of Laws – because governance bored him – Daemon thrived during the year he was in charge of the two thousand men protecting the capital. He inspired loyalty in many of the rank-and-file men of the City Watch by improving their arrangements and equipment. After all, he was the one who gave every man a golden cloak and they'd remain gold no matter how you turned them.