CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

THE QUEEN AND THE PRINCESSES
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE QUEEN AND THE PRINCESSES✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

127 AC, King's Landing

After losing Qoren, Valyria felt alone for the first time in nearly ten years.

Even when they were apart, Qoren had been her rock for such a long time that she didn't even realise how much he supported her until he was gone. Too stubborn to fall, no matter the pressure that was put on her, Valyria soldiered on believing that the best way to get through this was to continue like she always had.

On top of still being the Princess of Dorne with all the duties that came with the title – duties that would be hers until the moment Cassian married – Valyria had also taken on the position as regent of Dorne now. Even though she had Lewyn to share her burdens with – and an endless support from Serra – it was quite a lot to be the Princess and Prince of Dorne while simultaneously raising five children and sitting on the King's Small Council.

Cecily even offered to return into her service to help her but the Lady of Highgarden had recently given birth to her second child and Valyria couldn't with a good conscience allow Cecily to abandon her own responsibilities and family simply to help Valyria handle her own.

Something that couldn't have come at a worse time was Rhaenyra announcing her third pregnancy since it meant that the Princess of Dragonstone couldn't strain herself. Naturally, that meant that all her duties somehow fell upon Valyria. No one even asked Valyria if she could help, everyone simply made sure to forward her to messages of what needed to be done.

The only upside was that Rhaenyra didn't have an overwhelming amount of duties to perform. She sat on the Small Council – which Valyria did anyway – and other than that, she didn't have much of a role in court since the heir's place was Dragonstone. Thankfully, the castellan and household of Dragonstone were fairly used to running themselves after so many years without a ruling prince or princess and when they needed a decision they would simply send Valyria a letter.

Valyria was in a meeting with Lord Beesbury and Lord Tyland when the news that Rhaenyra was in labour travelled through the castle. She told the maid who informed her to tell Rhaenyra that if she wanted any support she'd be there, but the princess declined. Valyria could not blame her because she didn't want a crowd in the birthing chamber either.

Then a while later the news arrived that Rhaenyra had delivered another son. Valyria excused herself from the meeting and made her way through the castle, eager to meet the new addition to their family. Upon reaching Maegor's Holdfast, she quickly noticed the trail of blood when she reached the princess chambers.

With quick and graceful steps, the black dress Valyria wore fluttered against her legs as she followed the blood, assuming that Rhaenyra was up and running. Several nobles and servants stopped to bow or curtsy as she passed them and then just as she was turning down the corridor to the Queen's chambers, she was met by Viserys.