CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

THE VALYRIAN UNION
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE VALYRIAN UNION✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

132 AC, Dragonstone

Within a moon of returning to Sunspear, Valyria and her family made the move to Sunspear. Departing from Dorne had never felt so painfully hard before because Valyria would be leaving a key part of her family behind. As the Prince of Dorne, Cassian couldn't simply leave his kingdom behind to live as a son to the Princess of Dragonstone.

Since Qoren died, Valyria had done everything in her power to help her son grow into the role he'd been forced into at a young age. For a time, Valyria even believed that she'd be able to spend the remainder of her day being there for her son should he need her; perhaps moving her official residence to the Water Gardens since it still belonged to her.

The only consolation was that Lewyn would remain by Cassian's side. The man she trusted with her eldest son's safety and education the most in the entire world. And perhaps Daemon happened to be partially right for once; she needed to let go. Many mothers were forced to send their children to another kingdom to be fostered by strangers, at least Cassian would be surrounded by the people he'd known his entire life.

A heartfelt goodbye followed by another tortuous trip over sea, Valyria finally stood on the shore of her ancestral home again. For the first time as its Princess. Seeing the high grey walls decorated with dragon statues and other grotesques and gargoyles – it just felt like home. Her stay there would not be long, but up until her coronation, she'd once again live in the keep that for a while belonged to her father.

Valyria carried Jaeron on her hip as they walked up the twisting stone stairs leading up the main keep. Daemon insisted over and over again that she'd allow him to carry the three year old boy who struggled with climbing the steps himself; if she'd considered him over-protective during her last two pregnancies, his current behaviour reminded her of that of a fussy mother. If Daemon had it his way, she'd probably be on bedrest for the entire pregnancy with a healer close by at all times.

However, something just felt right about being the one to carry Jaeron as he first entered the castle he'd one day rule. The growing boy was perhaps a bit too heavy for her to carry without a little strain, but the mere feeling of being back home gave her strength. And she didn't have to worry about hurting herself by tripping, because Daemon hovered by her side, ready to stabilise her if she showed even a single sign of tiredness.

A few steps behind them, Cyrenna carried Viserys and assisted Serra in keeping an eye on Aelia and Daeron who both looked at the castle in awe. It had been years since the two of them saw the Targaryen's ancestral home and it was Baela and Rhaena's first time. While Valyria wished for her second eldest daughter to be happy and married, she did not look forward to not having her around as a rock to lean on.