CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

THE UNORTHODOX PROPOSAL
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE UNORTHODOX PROPOSAL ✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

127 AC, Sunspear

Valyria usually joked that things had a tendency to go bad when she left the rest of her family; unfortunately that seemed to be awfully true lately since it only took days after her return to King's Landing before she received the tragic news that Laenor Velaryon had been murdered. His body had been found inside the great hall of High Tide, burning in the flames of the fireplace after what looked to be a fight.

Another devastation for Rhaenys and Corlys who now had lost both their children within a few moons. Rhaenyra had lost her husband but did not appear especially devastated; sadly neither did the young Velaryon princes who clearly had grieved the death of Ser Harwin more than they did the man whose name they bore.

"Should we have the seamstress commission more black dresses for you?" Lewyn asked jokingly upon her return to Sunspear. When they first met, his dark humour surprised her but now she had grown used to it.

"That depends if you have any intention to die any time soon," Valyria smiled sweetly. "Do tell me in advance if you do and I promise to have the seamstress make a few more dresses." Taking off her riding gloves, the two walked side by side through the keep, "Did anything share-worthy happen in my absence?"

"Aelia is getting closer to hitting the bullseye," Lewyn informed her proudly. "A little more practice and we will have another lethal archer in the family."

Valyria smiled proudly and that smile only widened when said princess came running towards her, Daeron in tow. After a quick reunion, Valyria and Lewyn sat down in her study, discussing every new thing that needed her attention.

"You know, Serra told me something when you were away," Lewyn said, breaking the silence in the room as the two both were reading silently. "There has been whispers amongst some of the lords of Dorne, wondering if you are planning on being wed again."

Valyria froze, eyes widening in shock, "What? Why would they think that?"

"It's been over a year," Lewyn shrugged, although the sadness in his eyes when thinking about Qoren was still clear as day. "You are still fairly young and will live for many years to come. No one expects you to do it alone."

"That's one of the many disadvantages of losing a husband," Valyria snorted, rubbing her forehead when she felt a growing headache. "At first everyone expects you to be devastated, barely functioning under the pressure of grief and then – one day – you are supposed to be completely fine and find a new husband."

"No one will force you to find one," Lewyn pointed out. "All you will have to do is endure more noblemen attempting to woo you with their riches and charm. There are worse fates to suffer."