CHAPTER SIXTEEN

A GIFT TO MARK THE UNION OF THE KINGDOMS
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

A GIFT TO MARK THE UNION OF THE KINGDOMS✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

122 AC, Sunspear

Five years...

Half a decade has passed since Valyria Targaryen married Qoren Martell...

Valyria's life in Dorne with an acclivity to say the least. Here mere appearance – the silver-gold hair and purple eyes - represented crimes committed centuries ago. The dragon she flew was a symbol of a much more recent attack upon their kingdom.

It was a challenge – one that Valyria accepted. People not liking her wasn't a reason to not try to change their minds. Not by trying to please every single person that held a grudge against her for deaths that occurred long before her birth. All she would do was what she believed to be right; what was best for Dorne.

Much like she did in King's Landing, Valyria made sure all the leftovers from feasts were handed out to the poor in nearby cities. She visited the orphanages in town and made sure they had enough money and resources to take care of the children.

After training with healers, Valyria also helped out from time to time when they needed help. By no means did she consider herself skilled enough to actually assist with any dire injuries, but she knew enough to help with smaller wounds.

She was still a bit of an outsider amongst the dornish and perhaps she'd always be that. But slowly, they were starting to respect her more and more. It was a slow process to gain their trust and loyalty and what she had managed this far was working.

In a fortnight, a feast and a tourney would be held to celebrate their five years of marriage. Nobles travelled from all over Dorne to join the celebration – but even more since they couldn't say no to a grand tournament. Therefore, Valyria worked tirelessly with making sure everything would be perfect from the food to the living arrangements to the decorations.

That was until Qoren pulled her away from her study and told her they were going out for a long ride. At first she protested, claiming that she had far too much to do and that they should save it for after the anniversary. However, Qoren insisted it needed to be done now and that he already had delegated her duties to other members of the household.

Getting a bit curious about how everyone except for her seemed to understand what was happening, she followed his suggestion to change into her riding clothes consisting of thin trousers and a red tunic with short sleeves that was held together with straps. Around her hair she wrapped a sheer scarf of a white fabric to protect her eyes from the sun.

Her curiousness only grew when Serra and the twins gave her knowing smiles after telling them that she didn't know when they would return. The only two that appeared to be as oblivious as her were Cassian and Aelia. One who didn't even bother hiding that he knew something she didn't was Lewyn who made a few half-crude remarks as they passed him on their way down to the stables.