CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

THE MONARCHS' DEAL
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE MONARCHS' DEAL✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

131 AC, King's Landing

The following morning, the Small Council gathered once again after everyone had gotten a good night of sleep. This time, Daemon stepped into the meeting by her side, hand resting on Dark Sister's pommel like he was stepping into battle and not a gathering with a majority of old men. Unlike the previous day, however, Rhaenyra and Alicent were both present too for some reason.

Viserys sat by the edge of the table, leaning back against the backrest with a posture that would have given their grandmother, Alysanne, a heart attack. Every day he got out of bed these days felt like a wonder. Clearly keeping himself awake for longer periods of time drained all of his strength in less than an hour.

"This meeting," Lord Beesbury began, "has been called to clarify the succession to the Iron Throne once and for all."

"I don't think there is anything to settle," Daemon said snarkily. "Valyria is the rightful Queen."

"His Grace was crowned King," Otto immediately jumped to Viserys's defence, as expected since he stood to lose his control over the crown not to mention that he never could pass up on an opportunity to argue with Daemon. "His reign cannot be declared illegitimate simply because of the last whims of a dying man-"

"That man was your King," Valyria warned Otto. "So tread carefully on how you speak of him."

"If I may," Archmaester Harmune stated, seated on one of the additional chairs that had been brought to the table. "While it is true that by King Jaehaerys's last will, Princess Valyria should have been the next ruler of the Seven Kingdoms, one could argue that King Viserys successfully seized the throne upon the Old King's death. The compromise between the two claimants to the throne might therefore be for King Viserys's rule to continue and once he passes, Princess Valyria will succeed him."

"How is that a compromise?" Daemon spat. "It's what all of you wants, is it not?"

"I do not have many years left, Daemon," Viserys pointed out with a sad smile. "The wait may not be too long."

"If His Grace were to abdicate," Lord Jasper Wylde, the Master of Laws, said, "it might stir up conflict in the realm. The line of succession is set already. Princess Valyria is Viserys's named heir," at those words, Rhaenyra's face soured visibly, "and will be Queen one day."

"You speak as if I'm asking for the throne for my own selfish ambitions," Valyria said calmly. "I never asked King Viserys to abdicate and if I did, it would not be to overthrow his reign like he did with mine."

"So you will agree to wait, Your Highness," Lord Beesbury asked.

Beside her, Daemon opened his mouth to protest. Valyria placed her hand over his in a request for him to be silent. Everyone clearly expected for her to simply comply and allow Viserys's rule to continue until his death. Clearly she had little support on the council; even Lord Beesbury and Tyland, who often supported her in other matters, seemed reluctant to argue for an abdication.