CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

124 AC, Dragonstone

"This might be the most bleak place I've ever seen," Qoren said, following close behind Valyria as they walked along the stone walkway that slithered like a snake all the way up to the castle of Dragonstone.

"It's not," Valyria sent her husband a dirty look that mostly was joking; but she did not agree with his opinion on Dragonstone. The harsh winds that always seemed to plague the inhabitants of the island – probably due to how it essentially was a mountain in the middle of the sea – made locks of Valyria's silver-gold hair fly into her face, making it difficult to maintain a serious expression. "It's simply different from the castles you are used to. But that does not mean it doesn't have its own special beauty."

"It's dismal," Serra said from where she walked behind the Prince and Princess alongside the twins and Cassian. Young Daeron and Aelia were holding onto one twin each, insisting on walking on their own to prove how grown-up they were.

"Not to mention grim," Qoren added. "I've never seen this much grey in one place before."

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," Cyrenna told the two. "It may not hold the exotic beauty of Sunspear or the Water Gardens, but it has its own charm. It's a heritage of the Valyrian Freehold, the greatest empire the world has ever seen."

"My theory is that the Valyrians were so beautiful that they needed to create balance with ugly castles," Serra joked, although not completely because Valyria had heard that 'theory' from her before.

"Dragonstone was built with arcane arts, fire and sorcery," Elara claimed, recalling the history lessons given to her by both her septa and her mother. "There are more important things than beauty."

"See, I taught my daughters well," Valyria said proudly as they got closer to the entrance of the castle. Despite how grim it might look, Valyria absolutely loved Dragonstone. She had been born there and as a child her father would bring her to Dragonstone whenever he could get away from court.

The salty air that smelled of smoke and brimstone just felt like home.

"Princess Valyria," the castellan of Dragonstone said, bowing to her, "welcome to Dragonstone."

"It's good to be back here again," Valyria smiled politely at the old man. Ser Dalton Celtigar, the younger brother of the Lord of Claw Isle, had been serving as the castellan for over a decade now since no Targaryen had their permanent residence on the island, he practically ran the castle alone. "May I introduce my lord husband, Prince Qoren of House Martell."

Ser Dalton bowed his head in a sign of 'respect' that came out as more of an acknowledgement. Her husband's princely status didn't hold the same stigma outside of Dorne. It's likely that the little sign of respect he received mostly was founded in the high esteem the man held for Valyria.