CHAPTER SIX

THE SECOND OF HIS NAME
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE SECOND OF HIS NAME✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

116 AC, Dragonstone

The flight from Dorne to Dragonstone only took a few hours. Once the ancestral seat of House Targaryen could be spotted beneath the clouds, Ānogara dove down. Valyria held on tightly to her saddle and felt the wind wip against her face.

The moment the great scarlett beast landed on the ground, dragonkeepers arrived. But before any of them could do much, Valyria had slid down from her saddle and was jogging towards the castle. Her sole purpose was reaching her daughters as quickly as possible. Some of the servants stopped and watched in surprise as the princess ran through the hallways of Dragonstone. No one knew that she'd  be arriving back so quickly. At times it was like people forgot they had dragons.

"Muña?"

She stopped dead in her tracks at the soft voice and turned to see Cyrenna standing there. The youngest out of her two daughters ran towards her and Valyria crouched down in time to catch the golden haired girl. "You are back," Cyrenna smiled brightly.

"I am, sweetling," Valyria said, looking over her daughter's face in search of any injuries. "Where is Elara?"

"She-," Cyrenna looked down for a moment, like a child caught stealing cakes. "She has already snuck out. I distracted Serra and Cecily, so she could leave." One thing about Cyrenna was that she was too sweet for her own good and never could lie to her mother. "She did the same for me earlier. But we've got dragons now muña. Much like you, Nyra and Daemon!"

"So I have been told," Valyria smiled. When she had received the message that both her girls had claimed a dragon she had been worried because she didn't want them to do something like that alone. Claiming a dragon wasn't the same thing as owning it. Especially when it came to claiming a dragon, even a Targaryen needed to be cautious. "Could you show me where Elara is?"

Cyrenna nodded, took her mother's hand and started leading her out of the keep. "Aunt Cecily said Vermithor used to be ridden by your grandfather, King Jaehaerys," Cyrenna said, looking up at her mother.

"That is true," Valyria nodded. "Grandfather even allowed me to ride with him once. He was very old by then - and I very young - but Vermithor is one of the dragons with the most tolerance for new riders and their companions. He will make a fine companion for you, sweetling."

It wasn't Vermithor she had worried about.

After descending the stairs carved into the cliffs, they walked across the rocky terrain of Dragonstone and Valyria caught a glimpse of her daughter's new companion long before she could see Elara. "Cyrenna, could you stay here and wait for me to get your sister?"