Chapter 58

I'm sorry everyone. I know I've left you all hanging for so long. I don't really have much of an excuse other than life getting in the way. I won't trauma dump all over you guys, but I've been through a lot this past year that has made me lose joy in many things, including writing. You all know how much I love this story I've created and I'm so grateful for the love and support I've gathered along the way. 

I was hoping this would be the final chapter, but I forgot just how much happens during the final battle. This chapter was reaching over 4000 words without the battle even starting yet, so I decided to split it into two. I'm starting to write the next one as soon as this is published, and I promise to not leave you all stranded again.

Thank you for understanding and always being supportive. I can't tell you all how much it means to me having people checking in on me week after week in my absence. 

***

As soon as Harry explained where they had to go next, a nervous pit formed in Cassie's stomach. The same thing happened with Joseph and Regulus, as the trio had a sinking feeling about what was to come. With Voldemort and Harry both traveling to the same place, there was no doubt a fight would ensue. 

Deep down they knew it was almost over, but the worrisome part is how it'll play out. Death Eaters only bring death and destruction, something the trio is well aware of, but it's what they fear most.

As soon as the group of six Disapparated into Hogsmeade, they realized it was a mistake. Loud sirens resembling squawks immediately went off once their feet touched the road. Despite them hiding out of site right when they touched land, somehow they had been spotted.

As they looked around the corner, thee door of the Three Broomsticks burst open and a dozen cloaked and hooded Death Eaters dashed into the street, the wands aloft.

"We know you're here, Potter!" one of them screamed.

They quickly realized it was a trap. Voldemort expected Harry to come to Hogsmeade and made sure to have plans in place for when he did.

"They were ready for us," whispered Harry. "They set that up to tell them we had come."

"There's too many of them," Joseph noted, watching more Death Eaters arrive. "We can't stay here unless we want to get caught."

However, soon after he said that there was a loud crash heard down at the other end of the street.

They heard someone call out, "It's him! He's down here!" which thoroughly confused them.

Death Eaters ran down the street to where the voice came from, while the group watched, unsure of what was happening. Before Harry could decide what they should do, there was a grinding of bolts nearby, a door opened on the left-hand side of the narrow street, and a rough voice said, "Potter, in here, quick!"

Knowing they had no other plan, he obeyed without hesitation and the six of them hurtled through the open doorway.

"You bloody fools," the man said gruffly, looking at each of them. "What were you thinking, coming here?"

Joseph and Regulus gave each other a look once they saw the man's face clearly. They had an idea of who he was, but they weren't sure so they let Harry talk.

"Thank you," said Harry. "We can't thank you enough. You saved our lives."

The man grunted. Harry approached him, looking up into the face, trying to see past the long, gray hair and beard. He looked into his eyes, eyes that were a piercing, brilliant blue.

"It's your eye I've been seeing in the mirror."

There was silence in thee room. Harry and the man looked at each other.