Chapter 10

Malik

Young Dolph's Major blasted through my speakers as I drove down the road. It was my first official day working for my uncle and I was doing the consultation meeting at Ms. Patterson's house. He gave me full control of the project and I was working with two of his other boys.

I turned down an old neighborhood that had houses spread out by large plots of land. I made my way to the house towards the bag and parked my truck, before making my way to the front door. I rang on the bell and stepped back once I heard footsteps.

A short petite women with rich dark skin came to the door. Her gray hair hung slightly past her shoulders and she was dressed in a white T-shirt and purple pants. She had to be 5'0 even and she looked to be around 70 years old.

I heard barking and looked down to see a tan Pomeranian at her feet.

"Oh hush up Spice and get back in the house. Why hello handsome, my name is Wilmarie Joan Patterson but all my friends call me Ms.Minnie and you must be Maurice's nephew." She said in a thick southern accent.

"Yes ma'am...I'm Malik and I was stopping by to do a walk through just to get a feel of what needs to be done."

"That's fine baby...you can come right on in. I hope you're not scared of dogs, Spice is all bark but she's sweet as a button."

"She's fine, my friend has a little dog too so it's all cool."

She only nodded as we walked further into her home. She had old fashioned furniture with the plastic still on them, and pictures hanging on her wall. I noticed pictures with Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin, Patty LaBelle, Gladys Knight, some presidents and other famous celebrities. I was curious to learn how she knew them.

She walked me around the house and I took pictures of the different rooms and made notes on what she needed done. Afterwards we went over pricing and then I headed back home. I had a good feeling about Ms.Minnie, something about her felt peaceful, and I needed all the peace I could get.

I called Kelly to see what she was up too. I was going to swing by her place but her phone kept going to voicemail. I checked her location and noticed it was turned off, but I figured it was because her phone was dead. I sent her a quick text before dropping my phone in my seat.

I heard my phone ring before looking down and seeing it was LB.

"Yo wassup what you doing?"

"Mane headed back to the house..why Wassup."

"You should come out with us tonight. I know you have curfew but we won't be out that long. There is this new cigar lounge that we want to check out.

"Yeah what time are y'all meeting up?"

"I can stop by and pick you up. Be ready by 7pm"

My curfew wasn't until midnight so that gave me plenty of time to hang with them.

"Aight"

We talked a little more before I hung up. I had just made it to Mel's place and parked my car. I heard laughing and talking from her kitchen, and as I got closer I noticed it was a male.

I walked in the kitchen and saw Mel cuddled up with some mystery guy. He was a little shorter than me, but he seemed like a chill dude. I felt a tinge of jealousy watching them, but I quickly shook it off.

"Oh hey Malik... this is Damian my boyfriend. Damian this is Malik my...." Mel stammered as she looked between both of us.

"I'm an old friend of hers..nice to meet you man." I held my hand out trying to be respectful.