Ch. 27 What She's Done

Jamie’s P.O.V.
Crosshairs and Drift are not in the room when I wake up. I go into the bathroom, immediately thinking about what I can’t have and how I’m a worthless failure. I shouldn’t be here. Crying while on the toilet.

Drift’s P.O.V.
I feel that I shouldn’t be away from Jamie when I thought I’d be ok for twenty minutes. It’s strange since Jamie and I aren’t bonded. Maybe her apathy worries me since Crosshairs, and I have been trying to get her to do something out of our room with little success. Crosshairs looks at me, quickly showing worry. We’re about done with our breakfast, making it easier to leave without alarming the others.

“I just have this feeling,” I explain before I open the door.
Jamie isn’t here or on the balcony.
“Drift!” Crosshairs cells from the bathroom. My heart skips a beat. We weren’t gone long; please don’t tell me she’s dead.

What I see isn’t as bad as I thought, but this is still a grim scene. The mirror is cracked in many places from a punch, but one piece of glass is missing. Jamie’s hand is covered in a makeshift bandage, and it’s impossible to tell how many cuts there are. She looks at me, her eyes showing regret, and I fear it’s only because Crosshairs and I see this rather than regretting what she’s done.
I get the capsule with the supplies we’ll need from my pocket and open it. Revealing a large first-aid kit. Hoping there’s something to quickly block the pain.
“You hold her,” Crosshairs suggests.
We quickly switch positions, and I move Jamie into a hug that hopefully will restrain her as she feels pain.
“It’s ok,” I assure her.
It’s not ok that she did this, but I need to keep her calm.

Crosshairs’ P.O.V.
I fear this is as bad as it looks. I doubt a human’s hand bleeds badly, no matter the size of the cut, like on the head.
“Scrap, Drift, there’s nothing for the pain.”
How could we fail to keep things well-stocked? I worry that my first aid box won’t have anything, and we don’t have time to wait for more, even if Ratchet comes via the ground bridge, as I see my makeshift bandage is already soaked red from the blood. Drift looks at Jamie and her hand before telling me to hurry and get Hound. I give myself two minutes before I need to hurry back.

Thankfully, Hound is in his room, so I don’t have to look for him and risk others noticing that something is happening. He couldn’t believe what I’m telling him. Looking as if he’s hoping it’s a cruel joke, but he should know I’d never joke about this. He gets his medkit out of its capsule, confirming he has pain relief, and we rush back to the room.

Hound sees the soaked makeshift bandage, not liking that he needs to take it off — after putting gloves on — which is painful to Jamie. I hate having to keep her arm still. Drift is now seeing the damage, and it’s awful.

Hound’s P.O.V.
What did you do, Jamie?
I worry this pain relief will not help.
Crosshairs positions himself to help comfort and restrain Jamie. I hate hearing Jamie cry as I inject the drug and work, and this drug kicks in within five minutes tops. As I feared, This is not helping, or at least not completely, and should help with pain once I’m done.
I see a lot of cuts that aren’t deep enough to need stitches. Because of the number of cuts, there’s a lot of bleeding.

Once I’m finished, Drift takes Jamie out to the balcony.
“That didn’t go well,” Crosshairs sighs.
“That drug should help with pain now and hopefully when you and Drift change the bandages. I think that might need to be done for today every couple of hours.”
“I can’t believe she did this,” Crosshairs sighs, “she reached her breaking point.”
I will not tell him I accidentally found out about the DNR situation. Even if I didn’t know, I worry about Jamie.

I see Drift holding Jamie while sitting on the rocking chair. I wish I could help Crosshairs and Drift help Jamie.
I hate telling Optimus what happened; who will need to tell Ratchet and Rung.

Optimus Prime’s P.O.V.
I can’t believe Jamie did that.
“Are we beyond helping her?” Prowl asks.
“I don’t know,” I reply, “but this will be a challenge.”
The conversation I was thinking about having with Drift and Jamie would be wrong now.
“She’s not supposed to be at a military base,” Prowl reminds me, “but I think there would be better than her dimension. Maybe here will be a good place for a while, and she’ll be safer,” Prowl sighs, frustrated.
“She’ll be protected no matter where she is,” Hound adds, “she trusts a few bots and humans. I know that doesn’t mean this will be easier.”
“What the frag happens in her dimension to get to this point?” Prowl asks.
“Likely the usual scrap,” Hound guesses.
I need to check on Jamie.

Crosshairs and Drift have Jamie laying in bed, watching T.V. on her tablet. Drift is more terrified than Crosshairs about what happened. Neither like that I want both of them to leave the room. I hope I can get Jamie to talk. I move the desk chair by the bed and take her uninjured hand.

It’s a struggle to get Jamie to talk. I get a little information, but one question I ask results in her crying. Unless everything I asked has been upsetting.
I pick her up, hugging her close as she cries.
I would love it if this were easy to deal with. That Jamie would be happy. She could legally stay with us and return home sometimes, but I don’t think that’ll make a difference. Though there’s the issue would be her pets.
I’ll figure out how to make her happy, and she and Drift can start a family within our big family.