Ch. 30 Lily's Birthday

Drift’s P.O.V.
Jamie has been doing better the past four days, but she’s still struggling. With it being Lily’s birthday today, I’m hoping today will be a good day. 
“I see why you feel like we’re her parents,” I comment.
“Anyone can be worried about the ones they care about. It’s more because she’s the same age as a sparkling I think we’re like Jamie’s parents, and it’s probably silly.”
“I get it. Though I’m not sure if the others will understand. To them, Jamie is our friend and charge who loves us.”
“And your girl loves you. I would love to get her to say you’re her boyfriend. I hate how she tries to deny it. I have thought, what if we came here sooner and got Jamie to live with us when she turned eighteen? But look at what happened in the past two years. In the past six months. No way we can think there’s a reason we came to Earth eight years after Optimus was meant to happen.”
“We will never know if meeting Jamie sooner would have helped her. All we can do is help her now.”
I didn’t think I’d start tearing up. As always, Crosshairs is quick to hug me.
“Come on, we’re trying not to ruin Lily’s birthday.”

Lily is happy to see Jamie is ok. She knows it’s normal for Jamie to sleep this late. Glad she doesn’t ask if it’s because Jamie was up all night or not. Jamie has been asleep by ten every night on this vacation. This is another sign that depression is eating away at her. We’re hoping to have a good beach day with everyone. The others back at the base will be mad if they find out. 
“I can’t believe the vacation is over,” Lily sulks.
“It’s not like summer vacation is over and no summer camp this year,” Sunstreaker points out, “right?”
Lily nods. I only hope there are reasons other than wanting to spend time with Jamie that led to this decision.
After lunch, I take Jamie upstairs while Crosshairs talks to Lily and Cogman.

Crosshairs’ P.O.V.
I hope to talk to Lily, though she knows Jamie has been struggling.
“I know,” Lily sighs, “I hope she wants to go swimming. Not sure if we could build a sand castle in that sand. I just can’t believe it. Even in another dimension, bullying and bullshit happen to people. How many times has she been told she’s playing the victim? To get over it—?”
“Lily, I know it’s hard to watch her hurt. I’m with her most of the time.”
“How much is Drift struggling?”
“You can’t help him, so you don’t need to know.”
Never thought I’d be happy to see Sunstreaker forcing Lily away.
“He was trying to let her talk to you but thought she went too far,” Sideswipe explains, “I know I can’t help either, but how is Drift doing?” I tell him, though now he’s worried, “damn it. I hope nightmares don’t become constant for either of you. Hopefully, soon Sunstreaker and I can take Jamie for a few hours. I just can’t believe how much she’s hurting.”

Lily’s P.O.V.
“Will you stop annoying them?!” Sunstreaker scolds once we’re back in our room, “there’s nothing you can do to help right now —.”
“Oh, sorry for caring about her! I guess I’ve been wrong, and you don’t!”
I thought Sunstreaker would be furious at me, but he looks at me disappointed.
“I worry about her, but you must be careful with her. She doesn’t feel ok being in this dimension. I don’t know what happened, but we know back in her dimension isn’t great. Even if she frightened everyone in December, this feels different.”

By one, everyone is ready to go down to the beach. Some want to lie on towels, while others sit on beach chairs. The sand feels good enough to build sandcastles or try to bury someone — or somebot — up to their head. Hound would be a fun challenge to bury. I watch Crosshairs and Drift sit on a long beach towel with Jamie. Lighting sets up two beach chairs by them.
Everyone has a snack rather than lunch, which is odd. Dinner isn’t until five, so even if Cogman makes a lot for dinner, that’s four hours from now. Though it doesn’t seem like something Sunstreaker would do, I think he’s trying to surprise me with a few plans tonight.

It’s a relaxing hour before a boat with the helm in the center approaches the beach. Stopping a few feet from the shore. Cade, Izzy, Tessa, and Vivian are already in the boat with Cogman.
Knowing Cade and Vivian, they customized this boat as much as possible. Likely with the help of Que and Wheeljack. Pushing this boat beyond the limits set by humans. 
“Why didn’t you tell us sooner that you have a boat?” Sideswipe asks.
“And let you drive it? No way,” Cade answers.
Everyone laughs at Cade’s response and at how displeased Sideswipe is.
There’s room for all of us and room for a few others. We’re going far from shore to try fishing for a while before having fun with a float for four people. This float is like a bed with a headboard, but this probably wouldn’t be comfortable to sleep on. Sideswipe and I ride on the float.

Sunstreaker mocks Cade for wanting to fish, though some bots try it. They talk about Jamie doing better than them, which I find hard to believe since fishing is more the fish deciding to get caught or not.
I didn’t ask for a demonstration, but I watch Jamie stand at the edge of the boat and move her hand in what would appear odd to anyone who didn’t know about her power. The water moves, and soon a fish is pulled out of the water.
“Hey, that’s cheating!” Cade complains.
We all laugh. I’m thinking, when was the last time we laughed this much? Twice in one day. Sideswipe is hilarious sometimes, but I’m laughing at him in my room or his. The last time this group of friends laughed like this was so long ago, and it’s only for today — at least Jamie won’t be laughing like this for a while. It’s like an unplanned birthday present.

We spend two hours in the lane before returning to the house. I knew Cogman would make one of my favorite dinners and a birthday cake. We’re all tired after all the fun and eating. This was a fun day to end the vacation, and I’m glad it’s not the end of summer vacation.

Drift’s P.O.V.
With Jamie asleep, Crosshairs and I stand on the balcony. Talking About how this vacation wasn’t great. How Lily is way too concerned about Jamie, how to help Jamie and hopefully get her feeling happy again. While I think it’s time to drop the idea of Jamie and me having a baby together. She’s too old, and there’s too much to work on. I can’t have the conversation.
“Drift? What’s wrong?” Crosshairs asks as he hugs me. I can’t tell Crosshairs either, “she’ll be ok, and you two can have a family together, and I’ll help you two.”
Tears roll down my face. I’d be hurting the one I love and my friend. First, I must tell myself this is a bad idea before breaking Jamie’s heart. We’re supposed to make her happy, and I hate how it’s difficult. It’s terrifying to think how long it will be before I lose her for good and not as in break-up? There’s got to be a way for everyone to be happy.

Crosshairs’ P.O.V.
Drift usually isn’t easy to figure out, but I think this time he is. I know he does not like how unhappy Jamie is, and I fear he’s thinking about a decision that’ll hurt Jamie more, and it’s not exactly an easier way to deal with this. Either way, Jamie will be hurt.
“It’s not like you to give up, and we’d be dealing with everything we need to deal with either way,” Drift looks at me with teary eyes, not liking how quickly I figured out what upset him this time, “I know this is a challenge with serious issues, but I’m not giving up. Not like the damn humans have.”
He knows I mean in Jamie’s dimension. Drift rests his head back on my shoulder, struggling to calm down. It will be a long night and a long road ahead, and all we can do is hope things will get better.